Old Windows on a New System

Khugan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Hi, I upgraded my old comp (agp based) with a new MB, Ram, Video Card, and Processor. I used the old HD with the original Windows XP Home on it. My question is, is my system suffering in anyway due to not re-installing windows?

New Items:

Abit P35 Pro v1 (bios flashed to #16)
E84 Wolfdale
2gig ram (i forget the brand)Gskill? 6400 i think
8800 gts (512) drv vs 6.14.11.7516

As I stated before I am using my old HD which is a Maxtor (i think) 80gig ide. It all runs ok, though sluggish on boot up. It's not the speed demon I thought it would be. I either had stars in my eyes when putting this all together, or maybe I should re-install Windows.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. I have used CCleaner, and checked for spywear/virii. This sluggishness is on a clean boot.

Sluggishness=

Icons are very slow to appear as normal. At first boot they all have the appearance of uninstalled programs, and slowly change to normal icons.

Opening up control panel gives the flashlight search icon briefly.

There is not a Windows Logo screne with the blue animated thing at the bottom anymore. (this maybe a good thing)

Generally slow to load apps especially if somthing else is going on like loading Age of Conan.

Thanks in advance.

To do a repair install:

Install WinXP just like you're installing from scratch, immediately after the F8 MSFT Agreement screen, the setup continues and looks for previous OP/SYS on the HDD, Press R.

That starts the Repair installation, don't be alarmed it will seem like its installing from scratch, you'll even have to re-enter the XP product key, but when it completes all your old files and programs will still be there.

TRENDING THREADS