Sign in with
Your question

Help my emo computer please

Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2007 12:33:09 AM

Ok... so you may or may not have seen my FINAL BUILD thread.

Well.. my computer did. I need this thing to last for like.. 4 more days till my parts get here and it craps out on me because it's all emo that it's going to get replaced :p . I can't tell what the prob is!! I think it actually might be the motherboard, because there's several things that I've tried, and they've all worked for a bit before dying.

What happens is the comp will start booting up and then blank screen. The LCD will flash because it's trying to get a signal. Sometimes it will get as far as the XP loading screen, but will die before the blue login screen. Other times it won't even show the POST screen. I've tried swapping HDs, reseating things, and swapping vid cards. When I swapped a vid card, it actually booted to windows.. I logged in... and it worked until I tried to change the refresh rate of the card.

After that, neither card will work. Also... after messing w/it enough, the mobo reset to factory defaults. I've looked all over the board but I can't figure out where a short might be.

I'm thinking either the Mobo or the PSU, but I don't know for sure...

Anyone have some insight?

More about : emo computer

May 18, 2007 12:41:25 AM

Hey, do the power values jump in the bios setup? If you can access a page with that info just check if it jumps alot. Also check your ram isnt loose, ive had that reason before.

Also can you please post some PC info such as age of parts and type of PSU you are using.
May 18, 2007 12:46:01 AM

what do you mean by access a page??

Sorry.. I had my comp in my sig, but I guess it didn't show up...

- Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case
- p4 3.2Ghz prescott
- Aspire 520watt PSU
- ASUS P4S800D-E Deluxe
- ZALMAN CNPS7000A-Cu 92mm (Arctic silver 5)
- 1 60 GB IBM Deskstar 60GXP
- 1 120GB Western Digi
- 1 320GB seagate 7200.10 sata
- Viewsonic VX922
Related resources
May 18, 2007 1:06:43 AM

I believe he means if you can access your bios, to look at voltages there.

At this point, it is hard to pinpoint what exactly the problem is. But start with the basics needed to just post your system, the work your way up. Motherboards are extremely complicated parts, finding a short in one is damn near impossible.

Either way, wish you luck.
May 18, 2007 1:10:53 AM

Thanks pompeii exactly what i meant, see if it does jump, .5 of a volt is alright in most cases.

anyway have a go.
May 18, 2007 1:11:50 AM

Thanks pompeii exactly what i meant, see if it does jump, .5 of a volt is alright in most cases.

anyway have a go.
May 18, 2007 1:12:42 AM

I don't think there's a voltage jump, but if I can at least get to the bios screen, I'll check it out.

If I do see a jump..what does that mean?

And yeah.. it's retarded that 3 days before I get my parts it dies...
May 18, 2007 1:20:45 AM

Or you could just survive 3 days without a computer....
May 18, 2007 1:48:33 AM

karma is comming to get youu! oooooh.....

reset the bios jumper first or take the battery off and put it back in ^~~

that simple thing coulda saved my mobo...but i ddnt know so i threw it out ><
May 18, 2007 1:49:27 AM

Quote:

Or he may need his computer for work or school...
May 18, 2007 2:05:48 AM

Quote:

Or he may need his computer for work or school...

Actually, there's a project I'm working on for work that I'm a bit behind on, and I was hoping to close the gap working from home.

Oops ;x
May 18, 2007 2:26:37 AM

As you asked, if there is a voltage change, not nessesarilly a drop, it could indicate a PSU OR mobo problem, but at least you will know its one of them.

I recomend making sure it isnt the mobo as connecting a dodgy PSU to a good mobo can kill it, so only after the mobo passes some tests in another pc check the PSU, (but its the only thing left so the elimination process is done).
May 18, 2007 2:50:55 AM

Ok... I'm actually on the computer right now. I was posting from my GF's place, so it had about 2.5 hours to cool down.

I grabbed some stats from the bios:
3.3v fluctautes from 3.232 - 3.248
5v flucs from 5.053-5.026
12v flucs from 11.673-11.612

These would change about every 2 seconds or so.

Also, the "Power Temp" was posting N/A but jumped to a weird red negative temperature for a half a second a few times.

Finally, I remembered my mobo temp being around 34-35C before, and now it's at 25C.

Please let me know if any of this helps diagnose the prob!!

Thank you all for your replies!
May 18, 2007 3:57:58 AM

Your 12v reading seems a little weak, do you have a spare PSU around?
Try some compressed air and clean everything, it might help a little.
Remove any OC you have and run stock.
May 18, 2007 11:46:01 AM

unfortunately I do not have a spare PSU.

One of the first things I did was clean it out (including removing, cleaning, and properly reseating everything).

Now I seem to be able to work on another hard disk, but I can still access everything on the other hard disk. What's odd is that the hard disk I normal run my OS on is my newest... a 7200.10 320GB Sata from seagate that I bought in november...
May 18, 2007 1:01:08 PM

Quote:

When I swapped a vid card, it actually booted to windows.. I logged in... and it worked until I tried to change the refresh rate of the card.

After that, neither card will work.

what i think is, the problem lies in the refresh rate. it happened to me once, i was messing with my configuration, highered my refresh rate (which my old monitor cant take). n then blank. no matter what i did. so since i dont have extra graphics card. i changed monitor with my friend. n it worked. i lowered the refresh rate back. brought my old monitor. n it worked just fine.
May 18, 2007 1:36:30 PM

remember the apples man remember
May 18, 2007 1:36:50 PM

You can change the refresh rate in safemode aswell, no need to go changing monitors. In safemode it defaults at 60Hz or smthg but if u change it to say 70Hz it will stick to it when booting normally the next time.

OP's 12 volt is a bit low but I think it should still be fine, it might be memory related, try running memtest86 for just to be sure

edit and the 25 mobo temp is understandable if u had just booted up the comp, and it hadn't warmed up yet
May 18, 2007 1:56:07 PM

Quote:

When I swapped a vid card, it actually booted to windows.. I logged in... and it worked until I tried to change the refresh rate of the card.

After that, neither card will work.

what i think is, the problem lies in the refresh rate. it happened to me once, i was messing with my configuration, highered my refresh rate (which my old monitor cant take). n then blank. no matter what i did. so since i dont have extra graphics card. i changed monitor with my friend. n it worked. i lowered the refresh rate back. brought my old monitor. n it worked just fine.

Really?? I wonder why that would cause it to give such a variety of success though (i.e., no POST, POST + XP loading screen but no logon.. etc). I would think it would have a certain cutoff point every time.

Also, I was mistaken, I have a:
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe NOT ASUS P4S800D-E Deluxe
May 18, 2007 2:25:06 PM

Cheer up emo PC! 3 v-dubs for under $17000!!!
!