System restarts with upgrade to 2GB

cynicusprime

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
I am befuddled.

I am trying to upgrade to 2GB, and every new module I have installed makes my system restart.

I currently run 2x512 DDR2-4200s in Slot 0 of Channels A & B on an Intel DG965RYCK. I am adding a new single 1GB stick at the same speed and voltage (MB only takes 1.8V). I have tried rearranging the modules in every conceivable dual channel configuration: 512-512/1024-0 or 1024-0/512-512 and even 512-1024/512-0 just for giggles. Everytime I put in the new module in any configuration, my system continually restarts either at the BIOS or once it gets into Windows (Vista Home Premium). The BIOS recognizes all 2048MB as Dual Channel, and even Vista shows 2GB in the Sidebar performance monitor. But the system just won't stay up.

They actually do stay up with only the new 1024 module installed in Slot 0 of Channel A. It seems that the system (at some point in the chain) cannot handle 2GB (or perhaps 3 modules?).

I have tried a Corsair module and a Patriot module so far, but both produce the same result.

Any ideas? I don't want to have to take it into a shop and make them try every memory stick in their inventory to find one that works.

Thanks.

Mondoman

Splendid
Some MBs just aren't happy with 3 DIMMs installed. You should also run memtest86+ on both your initial 2x512MB configuration, and on the config with just 1x 1GB stick installed, to make sure there aren't unnoticed errors.
If those both work out, try installing 1x512MB and 1x1GB to see if that works. If so, it's probably the 3 stick issue. If not, your 512MB and 1GB sticks may not be compatible.

cynicusprime

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Thanks for the response.
I tried the 1024 and one 512 in several configurations and still get the restarts. I'm currently running on just the 1024 with no problems. The first one I bought was the Corsair. When I first had the problem, I brought it back and they ran Memtest on it with no problems at all. I don't have a floppy or (functioning) CD drive right now, so I can't run it myself, but the memory works fine on its own.
How can I find out what memory will work with my 2x512 if that's the problem?

Mondoman

Splendid
I use a USB-floppy drive to run memtest86+. They're cheap and easy to move from machine to machine as needed.

As for the DIMMs, I'm not sure what else to suggest. It might help to use all the same brand. One thing that has worked for me in the past is to use RAM rated at a higher speed, but run it at a lower speed (not as close to its limits). In your case, that would mean getting DDR2-667 or DDR2-800 RAM, but running the RAM at DDR2-533 speed.

Since 2x1GB kits have dropped in price dramatically recently, I would just go out and buy something like one of these kits:
1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134384 $72 w/shipping, Kingston ValueRAM brand like your 2x512MB.
2) http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85016-16&ps=ho1
$72 w/shipping, Corsair premium RAM, not the (relatively) junky ValueSelect line.

cynicusprime

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Got a 2x1GB Kingston Value RAM set at 667MHz today. They work fine together, but not when I add in my old 2x512 set. So I guess I'll just replace the old with the new. No big deal. Thanks for your help.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Have you cleared manual ram settings in bios?
All your rame should be the same volts and times,mixing brands is not a good idea.