Looking for cheap managed switch with port mirroring/monitoring

scrlk

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
Howdy,

I am looking for a managed switch with port mirroring/monitoring. Here is the idea: i want to start learning about IDS. I came across Snort. Now i need a router or switch that supports port mirrorring/monitoring so I can start the setup. It does not have to have all the fancy stuff that the $1000.00 switches have. The more inexpensive the better. The switch will be behind my router.

robmurphy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
If you are OK to mirror at 10 BT (i.e. 10 Meg) then you could see if any one you know has an old ethernet HUB lying about. Some people use these as a way of monitoring the the ethernet traffic.

For a cheap switch that will port mirror at 100 BT you could try to get a second had CISCO catalyst switch. I got one of these (catalyst 2912) of ebay for £27.65. That should have a command to port mirror.

I have another switch that I bought new and that was the Dell PowerConnect 2716. I bought the 16 port version as it was cheaper than the 8 port (2708). The 2716 does do port mirroring but I'm not sure about the 2708. You need to check the Dell Website for your location for prices of the switch, but at present in the UK its £77.55 inc VAT and delivery.

Rob.

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Well this one is a long shot but might work. If you use the paid for version of DD-WRT and install it on any broadcom based router it give you usage statistics. I figure that you might be get statistics if you run it like a switch ignoring the wan port and shutting off DHCP. Prolly run you like $50 so it might be worth a try.

G

This is an old thread but this new option is worth the response. The MikroTik RB250GS is a 10/100/1000 managed (web GUI/SNMP) switch that can do port mirroring and retails for only $40.