majurglery

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
ok, as the title says im upgrading to windows 64 bit and i need to know what i have to do in terms of drivers. Video/sound card drivers i can just install after the system has completed installing the OS, but others, like the hard drive cd drive, and other drivers, i am a little confused as the what i need drivers for and when and how i install them. Anyone who can offer me any help would be much appreciated, as well as links to guides and such.

Drivers needed are on the Vista DVD and run automatically just as they do on any 32 bit install. You should not have to load anything manually. Just follow the usual prompts. After, of course, DL newer drivers for your video and sound and other hardware you may want to have the latest driver for. The 64 bit versions are usually right along side the 32 bit on most driver pages.

As long as the drivers are there, yes they will. I have a Kodak 5100 AIO printer and Vista had drivers for it... I didn't need to feed it a disc at all. Granted, it's a fairly new printer... but all the functionality that the 32-bit drivers have is there. If your hardware has Vista 32 drivers... then it is guaranteed to have 64-bit drivers as well.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
just to ensure clarity...will anything that worked under 32 bit vista work with 64 bit...in other words...if driver was not certified for 32 bit vista but worked with 32 bit vista...thinking it should work with 64 bit?

No, the 32-bit driver will NOT work. You must download a 64-bit driver if Vista doesn't already have it. If your hardware has a 32-bit Vista drivers available; then it's a virtual guarantee they will have 64-bit drivers as well... and if they don't, then they should have them available soon.