Sign in with
Your question

Direct X10 / Lost Planet performance is a joke

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 18, 2007 3:02:43 AM

oh yeah, but M$ say that DX10 is so much more optimised and with the unified shader architecture we will no longer have Oblivion type issues, slow outdoors and super ast in caves. Which from looking at lost planet is the exact same problem

Having said that though, rumors are about that Capcom plan a lot of DX10 optimisations for when the game is release, i would say GPU drivers need to mature more and the game being the first is obviously no one to base any theory on DX10 performance on, its disappointingly but we have to wait....again
May 18, 2007 3:06:06 AM

One word...Vista.
Related resources
May 18, 2007 3:17:54 AM

Quote:
Well its still early, im waiting for an actual direct x 10 graphically enhanced game and not performance enhanced only with good drivers, and that game will be ...uhm ... Crysis maybe. What is the next full game to be direct x 10? Bioshock? Graw 2 for PC wont be will it?

I heard it might be Age of Conan. None of the "true" DX10 games seem to have really firm release dates as of now.
May 18, 2007 3:23:25 AM

Quote:
Well its still early, im waiting for an actual direct x 10 graphically enhanced game and not performance enhanced only with good drivers, and that game will be ...uhm ... Crysis maybe. What is the next full game to be direct x 10? Bioshock? Graw 2 for PC wont be will it?

I heard it might be Age of Conan. None of the "true" DX10 games seem to have really firm release dates as of now.
I saw Age Of Conan on the telly 2 weeks ago, the DX10 version looked absolutely terrible in performance, but i would guess theyre still optimizing it,i have a fear that maybe none of the current cards can handle DX10 at high resolutions
May 18, 2007 3:32:42 AM

Quote:
I saw Age Of Conan on the telly 2 weeks ago, the DX10 version looked absolutely terrible in performance, but i would guess theyre still optimizing it,i have a fear that maybe none of the current cards can handle DX10 at high resolutions

Yeah I have that fear as well. Since my GTS runs pretty much everything well (or at least acceptably) for now at my monitor's reolution, I've been thinking about skipping the GTX upgrade I had planned and wait to see what it will really take once the DX10 games hit in force, as I'm not on the buy every single top of the line card and then replace it with another top of the line card plan.
May 18, 2007 3:57:08 AM

Quote:
Im waiting to see how the 8900 GTX turns out next month, might use the EVGA step up program and get it,might be worth it. I have around 70 days left on it. Although I do love my GTS it runs everything great, even Lost Planet maxed settings 1920 x 1200 around 25 fps.

????? Since when is the 8900 coming out next month?
May 18, 2007 5:05:54 AM

That funny I maxed out everything with my 8800GTX and E6600 @ 3Ghz 1600x1200 and the game wasn't playable 16FPS and shut itself down a few second later. Are you really sure you had everything maxed out?
May 18, 2007 5:51:11 AM

Quote:
Im waiting to see how the 8900 GTX turns out next month, might use the EVGA step up program and get it,might be worth it. I have around 70 days left on it. Although I do love my GTS it runs everything great, even Lost Planet maxed settings 1920 x 1200 around 25 fps.

????? Since when is the 8900 coming out next month?

No, he's waiting to see how it turns out next month. So when it doesn't, he'll be disappointed ;) 
May 18, 2007 5:58:36 AM

It could be poor DX10 drivers...
May 18, 2007 6:17:37 AM

Quote:
It could be poor DX10 drivers...

we have a winner....Nvida has had shitty drivers for Vista for god knows how long..there finally getting there crap together...

Eh i was planning on building a new rig...but i since decided to wait for acutall DX10 games (mainly Bioshock and Crysis) which all i know is Bioshock is till game for Aug 21st if im not mistaken...and Crysis...meh who knows....by then both parties will have there refresh out anyways :\

i can deal with a 7600 Go ....laptop ftw....
May 18, 2007 11:24:50 AM

Will I remember being disappointed with Rainbow Six Vegas performance under DX9. I'm almost at the point where I will simply expect x360 ports to run poorly on PC's. Lost planet is simply a few dx10 features tagged on top of a port. We need to see a full Dx10 game from the ground up like Crysis.

Still lost planet was not so bad. At default settings I got framerates of Snow 66 cave 61. That is 1280x720(same as the 360). Everything high except hdr and shadows which are med. AA 4x 16x texture filter.
the game gave me no option for my native res. and when i bumped hdr to high I got artifacts.
May 18, 2007 6:27:14 PM

And this is exactly why I haven't switched Vista yet.
May 18, 2007 7:29:24 PM

Quote:

i would say GPU drivers need to mature more and the game being the first is obviously no one to base any theory on DX10 performance on,

Agreed, with such a small DX10 code base to work form I'm sure the drivers are in horrible shape (at ATI and Nvidia). I think once we start seeing actual releases we'll see leaps in performance from new drivers.
May 18, 2007 7:38:39 PM

honestly, I think all the "DX10 is faster"
is pure and total bullshit, my speculation confirmed many times by our dear microsoft is..
to pull the STUPIDEST, MOST BIGGEST pile of crap coding in all their programs, so they force the users to constantly keep buying hardware to keep with the lousy code..
they have been doing that ALL THE TIME with every OS release, I wont be surprised if both Intel & Microsoft and Even AMD and other x86 manufacturer pays minimum fees to microsoft to keep going for this
and keep the consumism active...

because, remember, its better to do lousy code, and toss the cost (in hardware) to the user, than hire thousands of extremely skilled programmers full time for months to optimize the soft at best :p 
May 18, 2007 7:42:28 PM

Its not only drivers.And while NV or AMD are doing what they can to improve their drivers,you have to look at the problem of very bad game code.Its happening all the time lately and that should be even worse for DX10 since everyone is in a rush to get a game working.No wonder you pay $500 for a GPU only to find out its performance will be less than average , and i bet its not the only drivers to blame.
And how many of the famous DX10 games are really DX10?
This thing with games is complete bs.
May 18, 2007 7:59:50 PM

Quote:
We need to see a full Dx10 game from the ground up like Crysis.

Well we will not see real DX10 games until Win XP is dead... All the games that are coming, are DX9 games with DX10 features. There are so many DX9 machines out there that I doupt that there is not market for pure DX10 game at this moment (of cource I can be wrong, but from economical view point it seems to be most practical way of doing it...)

I predict (looming deep into crystall ball ;-) that first DX10 game comes year 2009. Well, maybe 2008...
May 19, 2007 1:00:29 AM

any of you guys know what it was like going from dx7->8 or 8->9? what were the top of the range first cards like then? i didnt have a gaming pc in those days because i was doing a bit of traveling and what not so it was PS1 &2 for me in those days

Im guessing the first cards in those days had a lot of issues too?
May 19, 2007 1:37:02 AM

yeah DX10 has only had a small amount of juice squeezed out like in crysis which alot of its eye candy is available in DX9 anyway, DX10 can wait -DX9 will keep me satified for a while yet
May 19, 2007 1:41:00 AM

Quote:
That funny I maxed out everything with my 8800GTX and E6600 @ 3Ghz 1600x1200 and the game wasn't playable 16FPS and shut itself down a few second later. Are you really sure you had everything maxed out?

It may be related to insufficient power to your card. It has a built in voltage monitor and if it is below a certain level the card will downclock itself signficantly.

One of my cards had a bad voltage regulator and everytime I tried to upgrade to a new driver it would detect a low voltage even though I was pushing a 1Kw Quad SLI certified PSU. I RMA'ed it and got another, problem solved.

BTW with SLI DX10 in VISTA is not that bad but DX9 in XP is much better, so I would agree with the original poster. Here are my scores:

DX10 VISTA: Snow 65 Cave 57
DX9 XP SP2: Snow 71 Cave 62

Visually, not much difference really. I hope they release a DX9 XP version of Crysis. I think I would rather play it there.
May 19, 2007 1:44:51 AM

Quote:
Here are my scores:

DX10 VISTA: Snow 65 Cave 57
DX9 XP SP2: Snow 71 Cave 62

Forgot, those scores are at 1920x1080 32bit
!