Sign in with
Your question

An interesting problem in Vista

Last response: in Windows Vista
August 11, 2008 3:27:51 PM

Hi everyone, my laptop has an problem in vista after a period of time not "using" it.

I am currently using Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit. It works fine in my laptop though the CPU is unlikely met the minimum requirement of Vista :kaola: 
However, things go strange after I leave the computer idle (what I mean idle is not using it, leave it turned on and go away) for say.... 2 or 3 hours, when I came back, the system runs really slow :o 
I did check the taskmgr, there wasn't anything loading the CPU when I came back, so definitely not virus, but as soon as I use it, every single action will full load the whole CPU, even opening a folder will :??: 

This problem can be solved by re-logging in (not restarting :o  ) but I can't be bother to do so :kaola:  and I really want to solve it.

Any ideas why is it like that?

P.s: The problem will not come out if I am using it for 2 or 3 hours (say... web surfing or playing games)
August 12, 2008 1:01:36 PM

Could be power saving. Max out your settings in Control Panel\Power Options. You'll have to list all your programs.
m
l
August 12, 2008 1:09:14 PM

auscanzukus said:
Could be power saving. Max out your settings in Control Panel\Power Options. You'll have to list all your programs.

Thanks for your reply, but I think I have solved it.
It's the program: Notebook Hardware Control cause it, because this morning, I disabled that program and when I came back from office, my computer was working smoothly, without the problem I mentioned before :D 
m
l
Related resources
August 13, 2008 1:59:40 PM

Thanks Rick, it does help =]

But I think I found another problem, when I was downloading things, a 1.9GB file, does vista writes all the download cache to Memory? cause after I downloaded to half way, I found my memory usage has increased by 9xxmb, and when I press cancel in the download, the used memory free up.

Can I make it save to hard disk instead of memory when I am download?

Thanks!!
m
l
August 13, 2008 4:37:12 PM

What are you using to download? It does save to hard drive and not RAM... but if you're using a torrent program, some of them use a great deal of RAM.
m
l
August 13, 2008 11:46:56 PM

Zoron said:
What are you using to download? It does save to hard drive and not RAM... but if you're using a torrent program, some of them use a great deal of RAM.

I was downloading American's Army....
I downloaded the file in a computer with OS XP in the end, but I found out when I extract the file in vista, it is an .exe file, the ram usage shoot to the top and use up 8xx ram but still can't open the .exe file....

Is it because my vista is not in c: drive? Mine is in Y: coz I've got a XP partition in c: drive....

Thanks!!
m
l
August 13, 2008 11:50:27 PM

Quote:
Chluk2425, I am Glad I could help with your previous post. As far as downloading, here is the Official word from Vista%u2019s help and how to page:

%u201CWhen you download files, Windows usually saves them in the Downloads folder which is located under your user name in the users folder on the drive where Windows is installed (for example C:\users\your name\downloads). When you are saving the file, you can choose to save it to a different folder. Some different types of files are saved to different folders by default. For example, if you right-click a picture on a webpage and then choose Save Picture As from the menu, the picture will be saved to the Pictures folder by default. If you're not sure where the file was saved, you can search for it from the Start menu.%u201D Again I am not a Support Tech, but if a download interuption occurs you might have to start that download over, if you stop in the middle of the download you might not get all of the necessary files transferred to your computer. With that being said, my advice would be to be diliberate in choosing where you downloading your files to so you can find them later. If you need more info please let me know.
Rick

Please don't quote what Official word said ^^" it usually doesn't help =P unless it's really technical stuff...

The problem is, the ram usage shoots up when I was downloading the file and when I was extracting, well should be opening the .exe file, and this problem does not occur in XP....

Does it matter if my "vista - contained - drive" is not C: ?

Thanks!!
m
l
!