Sign in with
Your question

Thermal Compound for Oc'ed E6600 @ 3 Ghz

Last response: in CPUs
May 18, 2007 2:43:53 AM

Hello again :) 

As I wait for the PSU to arrive while I stare at my new parts lying on my room :(  I was wondering if, since Im OC'ing my E6600 to 3Ghz (~333 FSB to match my 667 Mhz DDR2) and NO MORE, would you guys recommend applying a thermal compound different from the stock one?

It was hard or maybe I didnt try hard enough, to get a picture of what It looks like (dont have a digital camera), so use this as a reference:

My heatsink doesnt have a square. It has three claws.
Think of Jurassic Park 3 logo, X-Men 3 with wolverine claws, or UT3's logo :lol: 

That's what it looks like, I hope its clear (dont know if all E660 heatsinks are this way, hence I wasted a bit of space in this post to avoid further questions about it).

So obviously that is not all. I'd just go out and get Artic Silver 5 or w/e, but unfortunately they dont sell that stuff in my country (actually I almost got burned alive as if I was casting some witchery spell when I asked for Artic Silver in the *only* local PC "district").

Since it was hard to get a non-toy PSU and I was forced to order it as well from the US, its obviously safe to assume, NO, there aint "known" thermal compounds in here.

All I have is generic brands, and I think I saw the one I used for my current Sempron 2800+ setup some years ago, and yes, its not even a foreign brand just some "made in here" stuff.

With that in mind, is any of you guys, running an Oc'ed E6600 with the stock thermal compound so I can rest in peace, or then with the only choice I have (which is buying an El Cheapo thermal compound), would I be better off praying and crossing my fingers so that things wont go wrong? Or am I safe to stay with the stock one provided by intel with this *little* FSB raise?

Thanks for your time :) 
a c 473 à CPUs
May 18, 2007 2:58:33 AM

I am almost positive that the HSF on the X6800 is the same stock HSF as all the other C2D. Since it can cool a C2D clocked at 2.93GHz, it shouldn't be too difficult to cool a 3.0GHz CPU.

The real question is if you will be comfortable with the CPU temperature? I'm guessing it will be about 60C - 65C under load.
Related resources
May 18, 2007 3:10:29 AM

Quote:
I am almost positive that the HSF on the X6800 is the same stock HSF as all the other C2D. Since it can cool a C2D clocked at 2.93GHz, it shouldn't be too difficult to cool a 3.0GHz CPU.

The real question is if you will be comfortable with the CPU temperature? I'm guessing it will be about 60C - 65C under load.

Ughhh damn :( 

Then its not good news as I expected.

I see your signature

Quote:

E6600 @ 3GHz |Corsair XMS 2GB DDR 667

And that's just like I want it, except I have OCZ Gold Ed not Corsair XMS.

Im guessing you have Artic Silver or something like that to achieve 3 GHz right? How hot does it run for you?

I dont think Ill cry over temperatures but 60C is too high aint it? :x
Like my new rig could explode any second :( 

Im planning to get a "spacey" case, and maybe have it running 4 case fans.
Would those extra 2 (Im guessing it will have 2 bundled) make any difference over the temps?

I wont get a heatsink, coz as with PSUs, Thermal Compounds and all the like, I dont have the choice people in first world countries have, like those fancy "good" heatsink, but just generic ones. So Ill keep the stock since I think it will be better anyway.

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you absolutely have to have the best stuff, this is it:

http://www.articsilver.com/ceramique.htm

Ceramique is better than AS5.

Wouldnt worry, are you sure? :( 
And sorry, maybe I didnt make myself clear but I cant get any "good" stuff here. No Artic Silver* nor other good brands. Only generic El Cheapo Imma crappo your CPU stuff. Thats why Im asking :) 

Thanks a lot for your reply guys :) 
May 18, 2007 3:25:54 AM

And where exactly is "here"?
May 18, 2007 3:31:11 AM

Quote:
And where exactly is "here"?

Somewhere in south america where you'd never wanna come :) 
May 18, 2007 3:38:47 AM

That leaves Columbia and Venezuela.

If you're in Venezuela, respectfully, you need to dipose of that Chavez fellow. He's going to turn your country into Cuba.

Don't you have any online stores in your country? Surely you can get ahold of some AS somewhere. Or maybe find a store that'll ship to ur country?
a c 473 à CPUs
May 18, 2007 4:05:50 AM

I have a Scythe Ninja cooling my OC'ed E6600 and the highest temp it ever reached was 55C on both cores. I also used Artic Silver 5.

60C isn't bad, but I would be concerned if it reaches 65C or higher. To the best of my knowledge the motherboard will slow down the CPU if it goes past 70C.

If you are sure about buying a HSF, then simply overclock with the stock HSF and monitor the temp under a heavy load. If it gets too hot for your taste, then buy a good HSF.
May 18, 2007 4:19:15 AM

The tube of AS5 is small -- maybe you can get someone to mail you one in a letter.
The OEM Intel compound will be fine; however, it's *extremely* likely that you will need a tube of compound, as you need to clean off the old stuff and apply fresh stuff every time you reinstall the CPU cooler.
May 18, 2007 4:51:15 AM

Quote:
Don't you have any online stores in your country? Surely you can get ahold of some AS somewhere. Or maybe find a store that'll ship to ur country?

Well I just ordered, like, 80% of the new rig from amazon as explained on my previous n00bish topics.
Now its too late, and nobody is going to ship something that weights like what? 20 grams? :lol: 
I saw the artic silver on amazon but it was available through some unknown merchants so I didnt take the risk. Its too late now.

Quote:
I have a Scythe Ninja cooling my OC'ed E6600 and the highest temp it ever reached was 55C on both cores. I also used Artic Silver 5.

60C isn't bad, but I would be concerned if it reaches 65C or higher. To the best of my knowledge the motherboard will slow down the CPU if it goes past 70C.

If you are sure about buying a HSF, then simply overclock with the stock HSF and monitor the temp under a heavy load. If it gets too hot for your taste, then buy a good HSF.

Mmm that sucks for me. I figured out it was going to be hard to find someone with an OC'ed E6600 on stock-all :( 

But ok maybe Ill follow your recommendation. If it gets too hot, then Ill just put it back to normal speeds and move on :?

Quote:
The tube of AS5 is small -- maybe you can get someone to mail you one in a letter.
The OEM Intel compound will be fine; however, it's *extremely* likely that you will need a tube of compound, as you need to clean off the old stuff and apply fresh stuff every time you reinstall the CPU cooler.

Neeh not gonna happen (mail stuff). Its unfortunately done. Not gonna get the Artic Silver now, too late.

OK, you say Ill need if I need to reinstall the cooler... but I think this will happen only if I plan to get a new one?
In case it gets hot with the OC and I get back to the "n00b" speed then I wont need to reapply right?
Would you think any thermal compound would do otherwise (installation of new heatsink, maybe if Im lucky enough there will be a zallman, but chances are like 1 to 3 trillion)?

Thanks a lot for your help and your time guys :) 
a c 172 à CPUs
May 18, 2007 5:02:42 AM

If you are planning to go to no more than 3.0 GHz, the stock HSF, with whatever is on the bottom should be more than adequate.

When I was experimenting with my new system, one of the things I did was to OC to 3.0 GHz and see how much I could lower the CPU core voltage. It was still running at 1.25 volts. Unfortunately, I neglected to check temperatures. I figured that if it is running at 1.25 volts instead of 1.35 v (default), it is probably running cooler.

Cooling - more fans do not necessarily equal more cooling. Pay attention to airflow through the case.
May 18, 2007 5:20:01 AM

Check out the graph

This is an anandtech.com article related to my CPU cooler (which is doesn't matter) but check out the stop OC achieved with the Intel Stock HSF, 3.73GHz on a X6800, meaning your E6600 @ 3GHz will be just fine. Not the coolest rig temp wise... but it will work. :D 
May 18, 2007 5:40:17 AM

Quote:
If you are planning to go to no more than 3.0 GHz, the stock HSF, with whatever is on the bottom should be more than adequate.

When I was experimenting with my new system, one of the things I did was to OC to 3.0 GHz and see how much I could lower the CPU core voltage. It was still running at 1.25 volts. Unfortunately, I neglected to check temperatures. I figured that if it is running at 1.25 volts instead of 1.35 v (default), it is probably running cooler.

Cooling - more fans do not necessarily equal more cooling. Pay attention to airflow through the case.

Oh this is good news hopefully.
And well, I think If I do the airflow right Ill be able to cool it off a little bit?

Quote:
Check out the graph

This is an anandtech.com article related to my CPU cooler (which is doesn't matter) but check out the stop OC achieved with the Intel Stock HSF, 3.73GHz on a X6800, meaning your E6600 @ 3GHz will be just fine. Not the coolest rig temp wise... but it will work. :D 

Sounds about right :) 
I think maybe the X6800 is by default "hotter" than the E6600, so I can expect lower temperatures than 56C (and maybe proper airflow will help? or maybe the guys in anandtech already addressed this so I dont get my hopes too high).

Well I guess I have to try luck and hope for the best 8O

Thanks fr your time guys :) 
!