Corrupt XP installation

moofin

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
My comp was running a chkdsk and it accidentally got turned off during the last stage. Now when it gets to the XP loading screen it BSOD's and reboots.

Is there a way to repair the current Windows installation with the XP disc? Theres a lot of files I'd rather not lose.

Yes you can do a Repair reinstallation and not lose any files, you'll need your original WinXP installation CD.

Set your boot sequence in the CMOS setup to first boot CDROM, second boot HDD, save those settings and exit setup.

Normally holding down the delete key or pressing F1 will get you into the setup.

Boot from the Installation CD, watch the bottom of the screen for the prompt to boot from CDROM, run the install like you're installing from scratch, immediately after the MSFT F8 agreement screen, setup will scan for previous OP/SYS and when it finds your present OP/SYS on the HDD it will be highlighted, Press R and the Repair begins.

It will seem like its installing from scratch, you'll even have to re-enter the XP product key, but when it completes all will be there.

G

I would try booting from the XP CD, selecting R for Recovery Console and manually running chkdsk c: /p/r from the command prompt. You might need to run it several times until there are no errors.

Grumpy