What happened to the distro element?

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
In answer to a recent post, I included in my answer reference to a Linux distribution known as element.
I then find it has been discontinued. :ouch: Does anyone know why? I have not been able to search out
distros as much as in the past. :sleep: Thanks in advance.

Solution

The truth is that most Linux distributions are just tiny tweaks on the same software. They use the same GNU userland on top of the Linux kernel, the same X display server, and one of a few desktop environments and their associated programs. About the only thing that is different from one distribution to another is small details like what...
Dont know the exact reason, however it was essentially just xubuntu with a custom UI. You can grab all of the software it was preloaded with from ubuntu repository.

Also this is the problem with recommending such obscure distributions (which you seem to fancy over the main stream ones) for some unknown reason. You just never know when the developers will jump ship and leave the project dead.

The truth is that most Linux distributions are just tiny tweaks on the same software. They use the same GNU userland on top of the Linux kernel, the same X display server, and one of a few desktop environments and their associated programs. About the only thing that is different from one distribution to another is small details like what package manager is used and the exact syntax of some random .conf file. Once you've used Linux long enough, it all looks the same and you can do the same work with any of them.

Solution