kwukduck

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
For all of you who are tired of hamachi's commercial face and the fact that it's all closed source, limited to 16 users, needs a lot of relaying, are depending on their mediator server...

Try Wippien, it's free software which does exactly the same, establish real peer-to-peer VPN tunnels using a mediator (which you can run yourself freely! with your own settings and IP range/subnet).
The VPN is built with OpenVPN netcode so for that matter it's opensource.
The peer-list/contactlist is based on another opensource standard, XMPP/Jabber protocol, so there are no longer unknown strangers in your network. (though the network idea is still being worked on as an option)

I've established vpn with peers that were unreachable using hamachi.

Currently it's being developed very fast, i see this application becoming the next hamachi!

Wippien is a VPN tool, much more then an instant messenger, too bad a lot of people mistake wippien for "just another im programm" and leave it at that. its not an instant messenger, just as hamachi is not, it supports chatting with peers though...

I'm using my own mediator for a while now so if you don't like the default mediator which gives 5.x.x.x IP,
try mine: hidk@amessage.info which gives of an 172.x.x.x IP.

btw: you can change the ugly default GUI into a nice one with the settings menu; show/hide all sorts of details and smileys and unusefull stuff