Vista & wifi - Can see wireless networks but can't connect to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I just recently bought a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Vista Home Premium and the Intel AGN 4965 card.

All seemed well until suddenly, I can't connect to ANY wireless network that my card sees. Currently, I can see 4 wifi networks including my own. I cannot connect to any of the nonsecure networks. Mine has WAP security on it. When I try to connect to mine, it prompts me for my password, accepts it, but then I still can't connect.

I've never come across this before and I couldn't find anything on it. Did my internal wifi card go bad already?

Thanks

micronerdo

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Try these 2 things:

1. Try to connect having the laptop close to the router. After the initial connection you won't have to be close to it anymore.

2. If No.1 doesn't work, go to the 'Manage wireless networks that use (Wireless Network Connection)' box and remove your existing SSID network. Then click the add button and REDO your SSID information. Make sure you use 'WPA- Personal' and NOT 'WPA2-Personal' when choosing your security type. Also have your firewall off. If you have Norton anti-virus, you may have to uninstall it to connect and then re-install it after you have a connection.

greekmaverick

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

thanks for the tip. it worked!

G

does this work?? i have a wireless router. I can see my network. I can get connected but cannot open web page. I tried disabling my wired connection and connecting my wireless still doesnot work.

It shows no signal but shows list of network. It has an exclamationmark on it.

Pricey4634

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hi guys. Until 4wks ago my AOL Netgear router was working fine with my wireless notebook (4yr old) and all our Apple wireless devices. As they came into range they would all connect automaticaly & worked well.

Then, the notebook kept dropping out & the devices kept asking for the password. I noticed the 'internet' light on the router sometimes blinked.

So, we bought a Belkin long range router thinking the Netgear was broken. AOL reported no internet problems when they gave setting up advice.

But the problem remains, the Apple devices are slow/drop out/have to manually connect. The notebook has to be manually connected.

Often the devices can see the network but get "cannot conect to network"

BT phone line all ok. Please help!

G

Thanks, that tip worked, there was a conflict between Virgin and Sky operating systems and we removed the Virgin one and made Sky the first or main connection choice. Then it all worked fine! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.