Sign in with
Your question

Vista 32bit Defrag Problem

Last response: in Windows Vista
August 17, 2008 4:31:14 AM

ok so i ran disk defrag on my 160gb/5400 hdd which had about 26gb left, after the defrag instead of freeing up space i now only have 7gb.
i have never had this problem before, on any OS and cant really find much on this.
thanks guys i know you will come through!
August 17, 2008 12:23:18 PM

What defrag program was it? Vista has one that runs automatically in the background.
August 17, 2008 11:13:33 PM

thats the one i used, the one thats built into the windows OS
it said it was finished, just like normal..
Related resources
August 18, 2008 12:08:08 AM

Maybe your free space was being reported incorrectly before the defrag and the defrag fixed it. That's my guess but it's just a guess. I have seen defrag adjust free space before. Yours was a big adjustment, LOL
August 18, 2008 2:22:00 AM

i thought something like that might have happened, i checked in ubuntu and everest, both report the same.
and what is the strangest thing, is the longer i am on the computer (ex. using firefox, etc) the space gets smaller and smaller.
is this unique to vista? im thinking it didnt finish defrag and still is running in the background?
i just checked all my files in C drive at it should add up to 98, not 134
thats a rather large difference...is it all being held in temp?

ok i ran it again..now i have 17.5gb free
what is going on
August 18, 2008 1:11:26 PM

Ah, maybe defrag had appropriated some space as a scratch drive and then when it was finished it gave it back.
August 18, 2008 8:53:51 PM

Hi,
Defrag will never create new space; it can only consolidate existing free space into larger contiguous areas.

It could be VSS activity in Vista32 during defrag that results in space consumption.
Please see the following links
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312067
Althought the following deals with Diskeeper 2008 specifically, it describes the issues between VSS and defrag
http://www.diskeeperblog.com/archives/2007/12/dk08_feat...

Best Regards
------------------------------
Representative
Diskeeper Corporation
------------------------------
August 19, 2008 10:38:11 AM

just ran disk check, for errors and boom i for some reason a corrupt cluster
30gb free now and burn in hell vss
thanks diskeeper that would have been my other option
!