Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Alright here is the specs:

Intel Core2 Duo E6600 @ 2.40 GHz
Asus P5W-DH Deluxe
4x512MB Cosair XMS2 Xtreme Memory 6400 @ 800MHz
300 GB Western Digital Hard Drive
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX 768MB

ok i wanna overclock my pc to 3.0 or 3.6ghz i am looking for a cooler that can give me idle temps at 30C and around somewhere in 40C at hardcore load. doesn't matter if its requires to take out the motherboard and put a backplate i am looking for something that will do the job and price is no problem, but i don't want a water cooling.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
What is your definition of "hardcore" because it means something different to a gamer and a seasoned OC'er?

The best air cooler (which btw a load delta of 10c isn't going to happen under max load) is the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme... one problem sold out pretty much everywhere.

Tuniq Tower is almost as good as the Ultra 120 Extreme, loses by ~2-3c depending on circumstances.

Typical load temps under heavy OC'ing are generally around 55c if you really push it.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Typical load temps under heavy OC'ing are generally around 55c if you really push it.

And for an Ultra 120 eXtreme, depending on the fan you use, really pushing it can mean 4ghz+. Anandtech managed to get an X6800 up to 3.4ghz with an Ultra 120 eXtreme and a Scythe X-Flex fan (only average CFM) while keeping the cpu temp under 40ºc.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Yes, but that was a reletively light load compared to Prime and Intel TAT.

It really is an amazing cooler, I have one paired with a 125CFM fan and it is stellar. If I had a 6 series I would be intel 4GHz no question (IHSless CPU ftw). 8)

The anandtech review only used a game for testing, while this is a good real world measurement I use Prime/Orthos/Intel TAT just to see worst case scenario which is why I asked for the OP's definition of "hardcore" load.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Link:
AnandTech: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme: Is More Better?
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2943

Yeah, I use that review alot as back up... wonder where THG is on their review, oh wait they don't do many real reviews anymore.

leo2kp

Distinguished
I have my E6600 OC'd to 3GHz using the TT Big Typhoon and I sit at 30C idle on a hot day (when my room hits 80F+), 25C idle on a cool day (75F room temp). Not sure what the load temps are yet, but I reckon they can't be much higher than what you're looking for. I use the TT Armor case with 3 HDD's (two in the front, one on the top rear drive-bay) and a 12" Cold Cathode on the bottom generating heat.

*edit*
Come to think of it, I'm going to do a test this weekend on it. I want to know what my load temps are now.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Eh, TT Big Typhoon is ok :? ... but the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme spanks it as loads really pick up and doesn't cost much more.

I've used both.

Simply put the Ultra 120 Extreme is king.

I idle at 18-19c. 8)

leo2kp

Distinguished
Yea I know there are better coolers out there (well this was one of the better ones when I got it), but this seems to do the job nicely. 25-30C idle is still a pretty good air temp IMO. I may upgrade to the Ultra or Tuniq someday, who knows.

But yes I agree, get the Ultra.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Yea i was going to ask that myself. If my room is 75F with 25C idle temp, that's only like 3F above ambient.

But I'm going to run temps at home this weekend idle/load with ambient readings as well. I wanna know! And I'd like to know his temps too :) If you're at 19C and your ambient room temp is 60F, then I'm actually doing better lol. We'll see =D

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I am cheating kind of, My E4300 has the IHS removed which drops my temps a good bit.

Ambient is around 78F on average (75-80 normally).

This why I am SuperFly.... :lol:

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Xbit review of the Titan cooler

Needless to say it isn't that great, it is bulky, expensive and doesn't offer the kind of performance I would expect from such a complex cooler. The limiting factor is the choice of a miniature peltier of 60w which explains why it barely edges out the typhoon. The Tuniq Tower and Ultra 120 Extreme show a more significant improvement over the typhoon, plus they are easier to install.

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
something is seriously wrong i used to idle at 45C on the stock hs now its at 50 and hits 60 when i start a game.

Likely poor contact between the HS and your IHS on your CPU.

1) Use a quality TIM like AS5 and apply is as per the manufacture's instructions.

2a) Is your case well ventilated? Proper air flow is critical; you must be able to remove the heat generated by the components in there.
2b) Stock Intel HS? Get yourself an u-120 extreme, it's worth the $65 you'll pay for it.

3) If you temps don't improve, you may have a convex/concave IHS on your CPU and/or a convex/concave HS. You may want to lap both components.

I did so on my u-120 extreme and my q6600 and knocked off ~8 °C from my load temps.

U-120 Ex lapping thread
Q6600 IHS lapping thread