New AM2 motherboard and Linux

alloneword

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Hi all.

I am looking at upgrading my aging 3000+ Socket 939. Socket 939 dual chips are getting rare, and really expensive. So looking at going to AM2. (of course the new AMD stuff is getting me scared about getting stuck on a dead platform again)

I currently have a gigabyte k8n pro sli.

I am looking at either of these two at the moment:

GA-M59SLI-S5

and the

GA-M55SLI-S4

Both have pretty similar spces, just the upgraded chipsets.

Comparison is here.

I am after some advice.

1. Is there a huge performance increase between the nForce4 chipset and the nForce 590? (I am not interested in overclocking, if this makes a difference)

2. One reason I am leaning towards the older nForce4 is the audio chipset. I know that this audio works flawlessly in Linux (my main OS of choice), as it is the same one as I am currently running, but I am having a hard time finding info on if the newer audio on the 590 chipset board works well on linux. If someone can tell me if they have used the 590 board on linux, that would be great :)

Ignoring the different number of sata ports, is the newer chipset a much better performer (ignoring overclocking), and worth the extra $$.
And will all the onboard components work fine in linux (on the newer chipset).

Thanks.

StringCheesian

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
I'm also trying to find out which AM2 chipsets work best with Linux, and I'd also like to know how much of a difference, if any, nForce 5x0 makes over nForce 4.

So I'll bump this thread instead of posting a new one.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
This explains the 590 SLI. As for which would be better with Linux, I'd suggest you go to a Linux forum that has a strong hardware section. Since I don't use Linux can't really suggest a site
http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/articles/show/nvidia_nforce_590_sli_review/

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Advice:
Just buy this and an Arctic cooling Freezer64 Pro for $25 and call it a day...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103045

If you go AM2, you still have to buy the cpu, and in addition you have to get new DDR2 memory AND a new motherboard. Stretch what you have for now so your next upgrade can include either AMD or Intel, DDR2 or DDR3, etc.
Keep your options open. AM2 offers NO advantage over socket 939 when using similar processors.

alloneword

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Dual Core 939's are as rare as hen's teeth over here (Australia). Most (if not all) shops don't stock ANY 939's dual core or otherwise. 939's are going on eBay for 2 - 3 times the cost of BETTER AM2 CPUs.

I would love to just get a a new CPU, but isn't an option.

The 4400+ 939 can be found for about $690(AUD) here. New MB+CPU+RAM = $350~$380

Thanks, Tim.

bridonca

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
To save some money, and get a faster machine, you might as well get a Intel Core2Duo and a $60 Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA. What is sweet obout this motherboard other than the price is it's high flexability. It can use AGP or PCIe video cards. You can also recycle your DDR400 memory, or when you got more money, you can swap it out for DDR2, because this board supports both. Socket 775 is going to be around a lot longer than AM2, keep that in mind when thinking of future upgrades. Where else are you going to find a $60 motherboard that can do quad core? :)

alloneword

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I like the idea, but all that really does is save me money on RAM. Need a NEW CPU to go with it.

So for a saving of around AUD$80-90 I get a M/B that has a lot less features than my current one, no SLI, no SATAII, 4 USB ports (seriously, only 4?????), no firewire.

Also, with current pricing the Core2's just aren't as good value as what people think, at least here.

E6400 is over $250

AMD X2 5600+ is UNDER $240

Looking at the CPU charts, the AMD is clearly a quicker performer, and it is cheaper. They are very close, and the Intel is quicker in the DIVX test, but on the whole, the AMD is quicker.

Looking at cheaper ones, E4300 is more expensive than 4400+, and out of those two, the 4400+ is quicker still.

I could almost claim TROLL for posting Intel stuff for a question about AMD hardware :p (JK)

Tim

gent

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
The level of Linux hardware support is very dependant on which distribution you have in mind; most modern hardware will "work" but might not be fully optimised.

bitter

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
To save some money, and get a faster machine, you might as well get a Intel Core2Duo and a $60 Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA. What is sweet obout this motherboard other than the price is it's high flexability. It can use AGP or PCIe video cards. You can also recycle your DDR400 memory, or when you got more money, you can swap it out for DDR2, because this board supports both. Socket 775 is going to be around a lot longer than AM2, keep that in mind when thinking of future upgrades. Where else are you going to find a $60 motherboard that can do quad core? :)

this mobo really really sucks. a p4 630 on tis mobo is outperformed by a 2800+ sempron ( i don't think the p4 is worse than the sempron so the mobo is the reason why it works so poorly). anything but this mobo pls 8O

alloneword

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
The level of Linux hardware support is very dependant on which distribution you have in mind; most modern hardware will "work" but might not be fully optimised.

It depends on what kernel you are running.

I've been looking around, but there are varying reports, some say it worked fine, some saying it was very choppy, unusable, was trying to find some confirmation.

The sound card is: Realtek ALC888DD

Gigabyte says go to chip set manufacture for drivers.