Sign in with
Your question

Vista crashing at random

Last response: in Windows Vista
August 19, 2008 12:37:24 PM

Hello. This is my first post here.

I have built a new system that has a ASUS P5Q-E motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Gigabyte Radeon HD 4870, 2 GB DDR2-800.

I have Windows Vista Business 32-bit installed with SP1.

The problem is that the system hangs and freezes at random. I tried running memtest and it passed all the tests, I ran Prime95 for hours and it had no problems and it doesn't hang when I am gaming. I tried Crysis and Lost Planet. In Lost Planet, it crashed in the main menu when I was exiting the game!

The temperatures for the CPU is 65C (at full load in Prime95), 70C for the GPU (I did the fan fix). Nothing is overclocked.

I took out the processor and applied new thermal paste after cleaning the old one.

I am really at a loss here.

I need help!

Note: If this was posted in the wrong section, don't be mad at me, I am new here!

More about : vista crashing random

August 20, 2008 12:03:00 PM

Could be dirty power if the pc is plugged in a wall outlet directly. At least, plug it in a surge suppressor.

65C is kinda high for Wolfie. Is it the stock cooler? Mine idles at 21C & loads at 45C. Never got past 51C in Orthos x2. Granted, I use TEC, as opposed to air cooling.
m
l
August 20, 2008 12:16:35 PM

Go into your bios setup and check that the ram is running at mfg spec voltage. Insufficient voltage can cause instability in windows even when you pass memtest. We see this a lot lately.

Your temps sound OK to me for air cooling.

Is it just games that are crashing?

Be sure you have latest drivers for video and sound cards.
m
l
!