xbox games - from 480i to 480p, how can this be done?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 30, 2004 11:07:16 PM

Currently I can only run 480i on my HDTV instead of the 480p advertised for
the games.

Do I have to purchase one of those component leads to connect the xbox to
the connections on the back of my tv.
Currently I am running through the air antenna and the TV picks up the
signal but only converts to 480i, there is no menu option to choose your
screen format from 480i to 480p.

More about : xbox games 480i 480p

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 11:07:17 PM

You would need a component connection to play in 480p, you also need to
make sure your TV supports this scan rate. If your TV is an HDTV, it
supports 480p. You wont believe the color difference in ALL of your
games using this kind of connection.

--
slacker9876
December 30, 2004 11:35:25 PM

Get the HD pack, its only like $30 and has optical audio and component video
output. Totally worth it.

--Dan

"Paul" <paulscowen@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Currently I can only run 480i on my HDTV instead of the 480p advertised
for
> the games.
>
> Do I have to purchase one of those component leads to connect the xbox to
> the connections on the back of my tv.
> Currently I am running through the air antenna and the TV picks up the
> signal but only converts to 480i, there is no menu option to choose your
> screen format from 480i to 480p.

Related resources
December 31, 2004 6:31:49 PM

"Paul" <paulscowen@sbcglobal.net> wrote

> Currently I can only run 480i on my HDTV instead of the 480p advertised
for
> the games.
>
> Do I have to purchase one of those component leads to connect the xbox to
> the connections on the back of my tv.
> Currently I am running through the air antenna and the TV picks up the
> signal but only converts to 480i, there is no menu option to choose your
> screen format from 480i to 480p.

"DG" answered your first question (get the Microsoft HD Pack), but to your
second question (menu for resolutions) -- if you are refering to the Xbox's
menus then once you have the HD pack connected the XBox's dashboard (Under
Video Settings) will give you the options to enable 480p, 720p, 1080i. The
games will then, by default, use the highest resolution they are capable of
(and what you have enabled).

HD Pack is definetly worthwhile if you have an HDTV (or even 480p capable
EDTV). Also (undocumented "feature", but well known) is that the Xbox's
dashboard menu can be set to output in 480p. By default (even with HD
Pack), it will be 480i. To switch it to 480p: while holding down both the
left and right triggers, press down both the left and right thumbsticks at
the same time. Screen will flash and then will be in 480p. (Once set to
480p, the dashboard remains at 480p -- until you either do the above again
or power on the Xbox without the HD pack.)
January 1, 2005 9:21:14 AM

Thanks very much for your help.
HD pack it is.

!