Sign in with
Your question

Page Fault in Non Paged Area - BSOD (CPU?)

Last response: in Windows XP
July 21, 2008 3:43:48 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first post, hate to make it a question, but since Google usually gives me all my answers to my PC questions from here, I figured what better place to ask it?

Anyways, I have a friend who is running an AMD Athlon XP 2600 (I know, kinda old, but he only plays Diablo II on it anyways) and I found a 3200 chip for it for cheap, so I bought it, and installed it. Now, this CPU was in working condition when I bought it. I removed the old thermal grease, applied new stuff, and installed it. It isn't running hot, only around 28C. When I boot XP, it will get to the loading screen, and the green bar will go across once, and then it BSOD's with the Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area screen. It will quckly restart after flashing the BSOD (It took a while to figure out what the BSOD said, I had to take a video and play it back frame by frame).

I've had this problem before, when I first built my system, and it was because I had RAM that my motherboard didn't like. I have -NOT- tried another stick, because it just boggles my mind why this CPU would throw this error when the other one doesn't (Yes, I switched them back, it worked great). I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this coming from the CPU rather than the RAM or a HD issue.

Thanks in advance.
July 23, 2008 12:32:28 PM

The reason Windows immediately restarts pc after BSOD is it is set to do so. To disable that, log in as admin, start, right-click computer, props, advanced tab, settings under startup, clear "auto... restart", ok, ok.

Let it BSOD and note the 0x000000?? error code and any offending program file.

Clear cmos, load bios defaults, download this to a disk, boot it up for 5+ passes:

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
!