Removing Windows 2000

I am playing around with an old PC and want to remove the installed Windows
2000, reformat the HD, and install Windows 98. I do not have the original
Windows 2000 Installation CD. I tried to run the old DOS 6.22 Format.com from
A: floppy but got "incorrect DOS version."

Any Suggestions?

How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition
or Repartition a Hard Disk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;255867

1. Delete the Windows 2000 partition.
2. Create a new partition.
3. Format the new partition FAT32.
4. Install your desired Windows Operating System.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Roy S" wrote:

| I am playing around with an old PC and want to remove the installed Windows
| 2000, reformat the HD, and install Windows 98. I do not have the original
| Windows 2000 Installation CD. I tried to run the old DOS 6.22 Format.com from
| A: floppy but got "incorrect DOS version."
|
| Any Suggestions?

Don't bother with DOS 6.22 pick up a Windows 98 Start-up floppy from
www.bootdisk.com and then run FDISK to delete Non-DOS partitions, create a
Primary Partition, reboot and then run format c:

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am playing around with an old PC and want to remove the installed
Windows
> 2000, reformat the HD, and install Windows 98. I do not have the original
> Windows 2000 Installation CD. I tried to run the old DOS 6.22 Format.com
from
> A: floppy but got "incorrect DOS version."
>
> Any Suggestions?

Another approach is to boot from the DOS floppies. From the command
interpreter you should be able to perform a format. I recommend running the
FDISK program first so that you can first view the partition information.

Another question to ask is what you plan to do with the disk once W2000 is
removed. If you are going to format it, be aware of the
limitations/advantages of the format types (FAT/FAT32/NTFS).

"Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am playing around with an old PC and want to remove the installed
Windows
> 2000, reformat the HD, and install Windows 98. I do not have the original
> Windows 2000 Installation CD. I tried to run the old DOS 6.22 Format.com
from
> A: floppy but got "incorrect DOS version."
>
> Any Suggestions?

Harry:

I downloaded Windows98SE, ran Fdisk, deleted Non-Dos Partitions, and created
a Primary DOs Partition and rebooted. When I tried to run format C: I get
"invalid command." I ran A:\DIR and notice there is no Format.com file. Of
course now I have no operating system except Windows 98 boot on a:. What do I
do now? Where can I find a valid format file? My dos 6.22 format won't work.
This is the very reason I wanted to play around on a old system in case I
screwed it up.

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:

> Don't bother with DOS 6.22 pick up a Windows 98 Start-up floppy from
> www.bootdisk.com and then run FDISK to delete Non-DOS partitions, create a
> Primary Partition, reboot and then run format c:
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am playing around with an old PC and want to remove the installed
> Windows
> > 2000, reformat the HD, and install Windows 98. I do not have the original
> > Windows 2000 Installation CD. I tried to run the old DOS 6.22 Format.com
> from
> > A: floppy but got "incorrect DOS version."
> >
> > Any Suggestions?

Try: A:\> format c:

HOW TO INSTALL THE WINDOWS 98 UPGRADE ON A NEW HARD DISK DRIVE
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software/windows/upgrade/intro.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Roy S" wrote:

| I downloaded Windows98SE, ran Fdisk, deleted Non-Dos Partitions, and created
| a Primary DOs Partition and rebooted. When I tried to run format C: I get
| "invalid command." I ran A:\DIR and notice there is no Format.com file. Of
| course now I have no operating system except Windows 98 boot on a:. What do I
| do now? Where can I find a valid format file? My dos 6.22 format won't work.
| This is the very reason I wanted to play around on a old system in case I
| screwed it up.

Carey:

That's the command line I tried. I find there is no format.com file on the
bootdisk; and the one from old DOS 6.2 won't work. I need a newer one. Any
ideas where I can download one?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Try: A:\> format c:
>
> HOW TO INSTALL THE WINDOWS 98 UPGRADE ON A NEW HARD DISK DRIVE
> http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software/windows/upgrade/intro.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Roy S" wrote:
>
> | I downloaded Windows98SE, ran Fdisk, deleted Non-Dos Partitions, and created
> | a Primary DOs Partition and rebooted. When I tried to run format C: I get
> | "invalid command." I ran A:\DIR and notice there is no Format.com file. Of
> | course now I have no operating system except Windows 98 boot on a:. What do I
> | do now? Where can I find a valid format file? My dos 6.22 format won't work.
> | This is the very reason I wanted to play around on a old system in case I
> | screwed it up.

Visit Bootdisk.com, http://www.bootdisk.com. You can download the files to create a Win98 boot disk. Short of that, if you have a friend running 98, create one from their machine.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:382D8B3F-AAF5-4980-ACB4-4CC02AC637B8@microsoft.com...
> Harry:
>
> I downloaded Windows98SE, ran Fdisk, deleted Non-Dos Partitions, and created
> a Primary DOs Partition and rebooted. When I tried to run format C: I get
> "invalid command." I ran A:\DIR and notice there is no Format.com file. Of
> course now I have no operating system except Windows 98 boot on a:. What do I
> do now? Where can I find a valid format file? My dos 6.22 format won't work.
> This is the very reason I wanted to play around on a old system in case I
> screwed it up.
>
> "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
>
>> Don't bother with DOS 6.22 pick up a Windows 98 Start-up floppy from
>> www.bootdisk.com and then run FDISK to delete Non-DOS partitions, create a
>> Primary Partition, reboot and then run format c:
>>
>> --
>>
>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>

>> "Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I am playing around with an old PC and want to remove the installed
>> Windows
>> > 2000, reformat the HD, and install Windows 98. I do not have the original
>> > Windows 2000 Installation CD. I tried to run the old DOS 6.22 Format.com
>> from
>> > A: floppy but got "incorrect DOS version."
>> >
>> > Any Suggestions?

Run the F.A.S.T. utility to capture your current settings to a removable
disk.
Don't worry about running format from your DOS disks. The XP installation
process allows you to change partitions and subsequently format the
partition(s). Perhaps the best approach is to change your BIOS settings to
boot from the CDROM (where the XP Pro installation CD will be). Everything
should work fine from there.

> Carey:
>
> That's the command line I tried. I find there is no format.com file on the
> bootdisk; and the one from old DOS 6.2 won't work. I need a newer one. Any
> ideas where I can download one?
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Try: A:\> format c:
> >
> > HOW TO INSTALL THE WINDOWS 98 UPGRADE ON A NEW HARD DISK DRIVE
> > http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software/windows/upgrade/intro.htm
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups
> >
> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-----------------

> > "Roy S" wrote:
> >
> > | I downloaded Windows98SE, ran Fdisk, deleted Non-Dos Partitions, and
created
> > | a Primary DOs Partition and rebooted. When I tried to run format C: I
get
> > | "invalid command." I ran A:\DIR and notice there is no Format.com
file. Of
> > | course now I have no operating system except Windows 98 boot on a:.
What do I
> > | do now? Where can I find a valid format file? My dos 6.22 format won't
work.
> > | This is the very reason I wanted to play around on a old system in
case I
> > | screwed it up.

http://www.usenet.com

FORMAT.COM is actually extracted into the RAM drive that the Windows 98
Start-up disk creates. You won't see it by doing a DIR on the root of A.

Unless you have multiple drives connected the RAM drive has likely been
assigned drive letter D.
A = floppy drive
C = Hard drive
D = Ram drive (temporary)
E = CD-Rom device

etc.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Harry:
>
> I downloaded Windows98SE, ran Fdisk, deleted Non-Dos Partitions, and
created
> a Primary DOs Partition and rebooted. When I tried to run format C: I get
> "invalid command." I ran A:\DIR and notice there is no Format.com file. Of
> course now I have no operating system except Windows 98 boot on a:. What
do I
> do now? Where can I find a valid format file? My dos 6.22 format won't
work.
> This is the very reason I wanted to play around on a old system in case I
> screwed it up.
>
> "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
>
> > Don't bother with DOS 6.22 pick up a Windows 98 Start-up floppy from
> > www.bootdisk.com and then run FDISK to delete Non-DOS partitions, create
> > Primary Partition, reboot and then run format c:
> >
> > --
> >
> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >

> > "Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am playing around with an old PC and want to remove the installed
> > Windows
> > > 2000, reformat the HD, and install Windows 98. I do not have the
original
> > > Windows 2000 Installation CD. I tried to run the old DOS 6.22
Format.com
> > from
> > > A: floppy but got "incorrect DOS version."
> > >
> > > Any Suggestions?

Thanks everone for your suggestions. I finally got the HD repartioned and
reformatted using the downloaded boot disk, then found my old Windows 98SE
Install cd not accepting the key #. So now I either trash the old PC or find
another installation cd.

"Roy S" wrote:

> I am playing around with an old PC and want to remove the installed Windows
> 2000, reformat the HD, and install Windows 98. I do not have the original
> Windows 2000 Installation CD. I tried to run the old DOS 6.22 Format.com from
> A: floppy but got "incorrect DOS version."
>
> Any Suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS