No HDD flash player ubuntu live cd ??

timil

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Hello,

Is there a way to get flash plyer working so i can look at youtube, im currently stuck with a bad hdd in this bad laptop so i cant use W7, so im at least browsing the web but i need flash player for youtube and since its the live disc i cant install it, i read another thread that said it should be able to install but every time you reboot you need to do it again, but when i try to download and install it i get the error: "Error, package is virtual"

It's not going to install for you on the LiveCD. However you might try installing Ubuntu to a USB pen drive, you can then install what you want and just boot from the USB device. If you're brutal on the install options you can get 10.10 down to under 3gb with Chrome and Flash playing nicely.

G

Pen drive looks a good idea but you can also run Ubuntu 10 live from a CD and just download adobe flash player each time - thats what I sometimes do ie:
boot UB 1 live
browse to youtube.com or similar
try to play a video - it will fail but bring up a link to Adobe flashplayer page
Go there and select flash for Ub10 and later (Bottom option of drop down menu)
Download, reboot firefox (not Ubuntu) and you can watch youtube t o your hearts content, using Ububtu 10 live from CD.

For some reason this doesn't seem to work with Ubuntu 11 so stick with 10. Ubuntu 11 gets you to the abobe page butt the drop down menu to select the right version of fashplayer doesnt work - no idea why sorry.

Rgds

someguy17

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

I googled the same question because I'm in the same exact spor you're in. However, I solved this problem. Instead of installing flash through the brwoser, install the plugin through the Ubuntu software center. restart firefox and poof! your good.