Sign in with
Your question

Best AntiVirus & AnitSpam/Popup Software (Vista 64)?

Last response: in Windows Vista
August 23, 2008 5:49:22 AM

I've just installed Vista Ultimate 64bit for the first time and need a good compatible Anti-Virus and AntiSpam/Popup/Spyware application.

In the past I always used AVG but recently upgraded to version 8.* and absolutly hate it - it runs slow (takes over 11 hours to scan my hard-drive when it used to take 1-2 hours using version 7.*). I did some reading and found it wasn't even the best one out there and potentially not even compatible with Vista64.
As for AntiSpam/Popup/Spyware, I've always used Lavasoft Ad-ware/Ad-watch but have no clue if a) it is compatible with Vista 64 and b) still the best to use.

So I was hoping to get some advice from real users, a lot of Google'ing provided 100 of pages all listed different programs as "the best" - I know it is hard to actually list but there has to be 1-3 top contenders for what I am looking for - so far the ones I see most recently listed are:
- AVAST (free)
- KASPERSKY (pay)
- NOD32 (pay)

Of course these are just things I noticed - I am completly open to trying whatever everyone suggests as the best one.
Important for me is that it doesn't take much ressources/memory (meaning - polar opposite to Norton)...

I tend to rather FREE (therefore AVAST) but if enough people lean towards a paying version I don't mind.
And this is only ANTI-VIRUS (right?), what about a replacement for Lavasoft? Or should I simply keep using it (install newer version).

Any advice / help would be much appreciated...
Thanks,
August 23, 2008 8:02:09 AM

I would personally recommend Kaspersky because it's been proven by many reviews to be one of the Best. I use it myself and it's already stopped many threats plus it's light on system resources.

However, I would suggest you shop around because the official Kaspersky shop can be expensive. I have always purchased the boxed versions where I have found good deals. Updated versions can be downloaded free from the Kaspersky site within the license period.

You wont regret Kaspersky for piece of mind
m
l
August 28, 2008 12:28:36 PM

NoD 32 has still to let me down, it has found virus's that other more main stream programs have failed to pick up!

Well Worth the money!!!
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2008 8:02:34 PM

I totally agree. I am a long time user of Nod32 and it is indeed one of the best. very fast and very reliable.
Even if you have to pay, but then again. You get what you pay for. I used to use AVG (the free edition) which was ok. But nod32 is just way better.
m
l
October 11, 2008 8:59:24 PM

Believe it or not I just read a glowing review of Norton Internet Security 2009, yea, yea, it's been a terrible resource hog for a long time, I know, but according to PC mag (or was it PC world?) it is now a total resource miser, go figure, maybe they wised up - I'm trying it now and so far so good
m
l
October 12, 2008 3:59:16 PM

Yeah, Norton was horrible before. I'd be interested to see how it performs now; I've heard some good things about the newest version.
m
l
October 14, 2008 8:29:37 AM

Symantec's policy allows spy software (keyloggers/backdoors) of US law enforcement and intelligence agencies, such as the FBI-developed Magic Lantern, to bypass Norton's malware detection

I don't to anything illegal on my PC, but I expect a AV prog I pay for, to remove all forms of viruses and malware, so out of principle, I won't use Norton for that reason.
m
l
October 14, 2008 10:05:01 PM

lv426 said:
Symantec's policy allows spy software (keyloggers/backdoors) of US law enforcement and intelligence agencies, such as the FBI-developed Magic Lantern, to bypass Norton's malware detection

I don't to anything illegal on my PC, but I expect a AV prog I pay for, to remove all forms of viruses and malware, so out of principle, I won't use Norton for that reason.

That's a good point. It sort of defeats the purpose of paying for them to remove all viruses/spyware.
m
l
!