'setup is starting windows' freeze...

sovereign_III

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
can someone help me? trying to install xp but the installation freeze when it reach 'setup is starting windows'...can't figure out the solution...already run the memtest but got this message 'unexpected interrupt - halting'...

pc spec:
celeron 1ghz, 256 mb SDRAM PC133, maxtor 80gb, sony DVD writer, standard 400w PSU....

sovereign_III

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
anyone??? got another problem...when i enter the BIOS, it suddenly freeze...already change the CMOS battery but got the same results...still cannot figure out the solution about the xp installation problem...
really hope someone can help me here...

possibly a bad power supply.

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Reset the BIOS with the jumper on the motherboard (check your manual to find it).

I'd go with faulty memory. Unexpected interrupt in memtest means the memory is causing so many errors that it can't even perform the tests. It could also mean your BIOS is faulty, but I think it's more likely that the memory errors are causing your BIOS to freeze up, would also explain Windows not loading.

sovereign_III

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Already clear the cmos, change a new cmos battery...about the memory, I tested on another pc and it's working fine...bought a new RAM and still got the same problem...
I've done everything, but still cannot find the solution... maybe there's something wrong with the mobo or maybe the processor...

Well it seems the only 2 things left are the CPU and M/B, can you test the CPU on the other machine you tested the Memory on, if its OK then it would definitely be the M/B.

sovereign_III

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
the other machine i used to test the memory is a pentium 3 platform... wish i had another mobo with the same socket for testing purpose...so that i can figure out what is really the problem...

think I've once read somewhere, if there's a problem with the BIOS for example like freeze or crash during BIOS setup, that's a symptoms of a faulty cpu... but I don't know if that's true or not...

maybe somebody can correct me if I'm wrong...

wchible

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
did any one find anything?
i have the same probleme..
my pc stopped working (when it reboots it shows the startup options safe mode etc...) whatever i choose it stop with a blackscreen
i tried to re-install winxp... it freeze on starting up windows ...

any idea?