Ubuntu 11.04 Install Problem

berwicke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Hey everyone i have an iMac from 2006 (late 06 core 2 duo 2.16 GHZ upgraded to 3 GB of 667 MHZ DDR2) and i downloaded and burned the 11.04 ISO to dvd on that same computer and could not get it to boot it said boot 1. 2. and i had no options, i then decided to use the 10.10 edition and to upgrade from there. I really wanted to run opensource for as much as i could using the snow leopard side only for Final Cut Editing which i only use three or four times a week. The 10.10 installer got to the installer screen after a long time but it froze up and wasn't doing anything. I then ejected it at reboot and started up back in OSX with no luck after half an hour of trying. I am wondering why this happened because my August 2006 2.33 ghz core 2 duo macbook pro ran 10.04 and 10.10 both off live dvd and off of the hard drive with no problem at all, and other than the 2GB in the macbook vs the 3GB, double the video ram and the change in clock speed from 2.16 to 2.33 they were the same processor family, the same motherboard as far as i know, the same graphics chip and the same chipsets for everything else. I can't figure out why it would work on there and no on the iMac unless maybe my DVD drive is shitting the bed?

berwicke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
ahh thank you very much... will try as a last resort. not that it's too important anymore, my mac pro will be coming home soon now and i will be using that more since i'm going to purchase avid media composer and learn that, plus i do most of my gaming on the mac just thought it would be fun and a good idea to try open source. thanks a lot bud!