Sign in with
Your question

About linux

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 8, 2011 3:44:56 AM

I have 2 harddisk in my computer. 320 GB and 1000 GB .
When i installed linux both harddisk show.
i installed linux on 320 GB , installation also success.
after that i could not find 1000 GB harddisk on my computer.
Can any body help what to do ?

thank you.

More about : linux

a b 5 Linux
June 8, 2011 4:33:35 AM

Run "fdisk -l" without the quotes and copy paste your output please. You may need to run as sudo.
m
l
June 14, 2011 3:36:37 PM

Linux treats hard drives differently than windows... Drives attached to the computer aren't show as actual drives (i.e. c:, d:, etc). Instead, partitions on your drives are mounted as folders as part of Linux's single filesystem view.

You have to explicitly tell the OS to mount partitions at various mount points using either the mount command or putting an appropriate line in the /etc/fstab file.

As pyro said, the command 'fdisk -l' will list a partition table for your first hard drive, usually identified by the device node /dev/sda. To list the partition table of the 2nd drive, the command should be 'fdisk -l /dev/sdb'.

This stuff is documented in various places on the web and in the Linux manpages... I encourage you to at least read the manpages for fdisk, mount, and fstab.
m
l
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
June 14, 2011 10:57:51 PM

jbschmerge said:

As pyro said, the command 'fdisk -l' will list a partition table for your first hard drive, usually identified by the device node /dev/sda. To list the partition table of the 2nd drive, the command should be 'fdisk -l /dev/sdb'.

It shows all partitions on all disks for me just running "fdisk -l". :??: 
m
l
a b 5 Linux
June 15, 2011 8:11:54 PM

Quote:

#man fdisk

-l List the partition tables for the specified devices and then
exit. If no devices are given, those mentioned in /proc/parti‐
tions (if that exists) are used.

jbschmerge perhaps you should also read the man page ;) 
m
l
!