MSI P965 Platinum Fails To boot or post

mrwaffles

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Hey guys I've got a nasty problem with a P965.

1.Product Type: P965 Platinum
2.BIOS version: Fresh install first time use
3.External VGA Type: Geforce 8800 GTX
4.CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
5.Memory Type: Patriot DDR2800 PC6400, also tried with PNY DDR2677 PC 5300
6.Power Supply Type: Enermax Infiniti 720W
7.Operating System: None installed yet
8.Problem Description:

I just bought all the computer components from NewEgg. I set down to put the machine together and after I had everything properly connect I tried turning it on to make sure everything was powered. The machine worked, but I didn't here a POST beep. So I turned it off unhooked everything and brought it over to my monitor so I could begin to set up the bios. When I turned it back on everything turned on and then 5 seconds later turned off, then turned itself back on, and then back off, and so forth. So I reset the CMOS with the jumper and battery. Hooked it back up to the monitor and saw the MSI logo for a split second followed by a single flashing line that slowly moved down the left side of the screen. I waited for it to get to the bottom and then it just stayed there. The system never ran a POST. So I turned it off and back on and this time I didn't see anything on the monitor and it proceeded to turn itself off and on.

The first time I turn the machine on after clearing the CMOS the machine flashes the MSI logo for a split second and proceeds to move a flashing line about "---" big down the left side of the screen. Then it just stays there. Upon the second reboot it just turns itself off and on every 5-10 seconds.

I've taken the following steps already:

Removed Mobo from case and placed on card board.
Swapped the Ram from slots 1/3 to 2/4 and tried two different sticks of ram
Tried no RAM whatsoever
Removed everything except CPU/CPU FAN and tried.

I don't have any other power supply to test the system with but I don't think its a PSU problem because on first boot the system stays on indiffenently, it just never runs a POST.

Also I left the battery out over night and then tried the same procedure to no advail.

What should I do?

daesleeper

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
I have a very similiar setup. I just purchased the same motherboard with an e6300. My experience with this motherboard is this. From the factory, the board is not configured to POST. You have to go into the bios and set it to POST. This is the first board I have encountered that was configured this way.

daesleeper

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
This is a screenshot of what I was indicating. My case does not have a speaker, so it is possible that with a pc speaker, post will indicate errors thru beep codes.

When Full screen Logo is enabled, which is the factory default, the bios displays the full screen logo instead of post messages. My initial comment was misleading. I concede.

Click here for screenshot of bios

CentralCal

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2005
I ordered the same mobo and cpu with the 8800 GTS from Newegg and had similar results. I tried many of the same options you speak of with no luck either. I finally did a RMA to Newegg. Now I have a Gigabyte 965P-DS3... with no problems.

mrwaffles

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
OK Thanks CentralCat. Also what kind of MOBO doesn't POST? Give me a break. I'd love to go into the bios and tell it to post except I can't get into anything because it fails to boot completely.

mrwaffles

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
It turns out that the MSI P965 is incompatable with every single Enermax PSU that I tried. I had to take it to a computer store and have them try all the power supplies they had. Turns out not a single Enermax PSU works. That's just rediculous. I have since bought an Nvidia Nforce680i SLI board instead.