Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard Drive LED always on

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 13, 2011 11:45:33 PM

At work I am using Freenas to build a network storage server.
It has 2 160 GB sata hard drives and it boots to a 1 GB usb drive.
It is a Systel 4232
I recently noticed that the hard drive LED is always on.
I unplugged both hard drives from power and data but it continued.
next I unplugged the USB drive and nothing seemed to help.
I am not sure what to do to fix this
any help would be appreciated.

More about : hard drive led

June 14, 2011 12:31:12 AM

Any PATA drives that could have their cables plugged in backwards? Does it do it in the BIOS, or only once you've booted?
m
l
June 14, 2011 6:26:41 AM

Are you sure that you've got the cable to the LED plugged in to the right header on the m/b?
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2011 1:35:16 PM

I do not have any pata hard drives in my computer. I do have a dvd drive but there is a notch in it so it can only be plugged in one way.

From the moment I turn on the computer the hard drive light is on, if I am going through the Bios or booting from the usb drive.

I found some documentation on where the LED cable should be plugged into so I am sure that it is in the right place. when I unplug the cable the light stays off but when I plug it in the light comes back on. There is never any blinking it is just on or off all the time.

Thanks for you quick replies.
m
l

Best solution

June 14, 2011 3:20:08 PM

I presume the DVD drive works. What happens if you unplug the power and data cables to it (as well as those to the hard drives)?
June 14, 2011 4:21:17 PM

Thanks ijack that seemed to fix the problem.

I unplugged both hard drives and the DVD from power and data and the light flashed as in normally did.

I then plugged the hard drives back in and everything seems to be working fine.
Since I don't need the DVD drive for what I am doing I will just leave it unplugged.

Thanks for everyone's help and quick replies
m
l
June 14, 2011 4:21:51 PM

Best answer selected by abraves247.
m
l
!