Ubuntu Qs: laptop/32vs64

I want to dual boot my laptop with ubuntu and vista. Why does ubuntu recommend 32bit? Compatibility?

I am mostly just using ubuntu for school (openoffice/gimp/browser), but am worried that I read that there are no controls for battery saving, and since I use my laptop in class I cant always get a power outlet. Is there any way to get vista like power saving?

For the use I described above, would narwhal or lynx be better for me?
11 answers Last reply
More about ubuntu laptop 32vs64
  1. I would recommend Vista Home Basic 32-bit and xubuntu 10.04.2 LTS for laptop dual-boot, along with EasyBCD
  2. EarpWJ said:
    I want to dual boot my laptop with ubuntu and vista. Why does ubuntu recommend 32bit?

    Just as a matter of interest, where do they make that recommendation?
  3. Ijack said:
    Just as a matter of interest, where do they make that recommendation?


    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

    Under the download options it says "32-bit (recommended)" for some reason.
  4. So they do. Probably because they know that will work on most any PC whereas 64-bit will only work on certain processors.
  5. chamaecyparis said:
    I would recommend Vista Home Basic 32-bit and xubuntu 10.04.2 LTS for laptop dual-boot, along with EasyBCD


    any reason 11.04 over 10.04? Is it just because LTS?
  6. EarpWJ said:
    any reason 11.04 over 10.04? Is it just because LTS?


    The major reason is contained in ubuntu documentation on Maverick Meerkat

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes --

    §Linux kernel 2.6.35

    "With 10.10 we have also dropped support for i586 and lower processors, as well as i686 processors without cmov support."


    Something all potential *buntu users should be made aware of, especially if desiring to install these distros on older hardware.
  7. chamaecyparis said:
    The major reason is contained in ubuntu documentation on Maverick Meerkat

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes --

    §Linux kernel 2.6.35

    "With 10.10 we have also dropped support for i586 and lower processors, as well as i686 processors without cmov support."


    Something all potential *buntu users should be made aware of, especially if desiring to install these distros on older hardware.


    Thanks for the help so far all!

    So if my laptop has a core2duo T9300 2.5ghz, this shouldn't matter to me? Any reason then for me not to go with narwhal?

    If you havent noticed I am a noob to ubuntu, only tired it out for about a week before.
  8. No, it should not matter. However, if quickness in your laptop is a priority, I would suggest going with the new peppermintTwo @ http://peppermintos.com/download/.
    Based on lubuntu 11.04, it is focused on Cloud Computing. However, do not let this put you off.

    I take out what I do not want (apt-get remove whatever) and add what I want (apt-get -f install whatever).

    It is worth checking out!

    Alternatively, you may choose to go with Xubuntu 11.04, "Natty Narwhal." Again, the reason I recommend the Desktop Environments LXDE (peppermint) and XFCE (xubuntu) is speed on a laptop. See the below, FYI.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment

    I hope it is also seen why stating your system specs up front is helpful.

    Best wishes!
  9. Ijack said:
    So they do. Probably because they know that will work on most any PC whereas 64-bit will only work on certain processors.


    I don't know of any current desktop PC which doesn't have a 64-bit CPU (there may be some weird ones, but I haven't seen them), but there are a lot of netbooks which can only run 32-bit.
  10. No. But I know plenty of people who install Linux on older PCs.
  11. So to answer the original question about 32-bit vs. 64-bit;
    Your processor, the Intel Core 2 Duo T9300, is one of Intel's 64-bit processor. So really, to take advantage of the full speed capabilities of your processor, you should use a 64-bit OS. I don't think there's much of a power difference in 32- and 64-bit either, since it's the same processor anyway. And in reference to your question about operating systems, I suggest Linux Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com/). It's an Ubuntu-based distro that is very customizable and, in my opinion, more user-friendly than the default Ubuntu install.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Windows Vista Ubuntu