somebody1

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Hi,

I searched the forums and there are some similar questions but they do not resemble my problem exactly. So here I go.

First of all, my system is:
Asus P5B Delux MB
Asus Nvidia Geforce 7600GS Silent 512 MB
Samsung Syncmaster 710N Monitor
Intel Core 2
Windows XP

My system was running without a glitch for a year or so now when I all sudden encountered this problem:

One day, I booted my computer and after the initial Windows XP with progress bar screen, the monitor just blanked. I know the system went ahead and loaded up windows since I heard the starting sound. So I rebooted and it booted fine without a problem. But when I booted up the next day, it had the same problem. When I booted again, it loaded, but the screen resolution was down to 800x600. (I nomally run it at 1024x760. When I tried to reset the resolution, the screen just blanks... If I unplug the monitor, put the system on standby mode, wake up the computer, and replung the monitor, then it shows the screen again with 800x600 resolution. I checked for virus, nothing. I unistalled the graphics card driver in safe mode and reinstalled it- even with the most recent driver. I even formatted and reinstalled windows xp. I even flashed the MB bios... nothing helps. Sometimes, I can set the resolution to 1024x760 and when it does, it runs fine until the next boot up- when the cycle starts all over. What I noticed is that the system now won't recognize my monitor correctly even I install the driver-- it just says "basic monitor" under device manager. Sometimes, right after I reinstall the driver for the monitor, it will display the correct model, but after trying the switch the resolution, it goes back to "basic monitor." And sometimes, after attempting to change the resolution, the monitor blanks and then displays, "not optimal setting. try 1280x720 at 60 hz." I even took out the graphics card and cleaned it. It's not overheating or anything.... Please help! is it my monitor dying or my graphics card?

somebody1

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Oh and one more thing... when I tried to reinstall the video card driver, it blanks too... and if I reboot it, the system load up in 800x600 resolution and I find the driver installed. But I the whole problem repeat on next bootup or while attempting to change the resolution.

I had a similar problem and it was because the standoffs on the graphics card that the monitor cable screws into had loosened, after tightening them up the problem went away.

That may not be your problem but check them for tightness, it affects the grounding, don't over tighten them but if they're loose snug them up and see what happens.