How do I install thermistors to my system? Please Help!

ashfaqrasul

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
My case has a temperature monitor at the front. The temperatures are monitored using thermistors (Temperature Sensors). There's one each for the CPU, HD and VGA. They look a little like this:
Thermistor.jpg

How would I install them to my system? Can I just place them or stick them near the respective components?

Yes, you could stick them as close as possible to the cores that you are measuring.

Also, I try to place these sensors as close to the hottest part of the component as I could. For example, I find the hottest part of the hard drive and mount the sensor there.

However, you NEVER want to put these temp sensors between the core of the cpu or gpu and the heatsink that is covering it. Doing so could cause your component to overheat.

Another thing to think about...when mounting the sensor, try not to block any airflow around the component if possible. One system I worked on had duct tape covering the hard drive where the person had mounted the thermistor for that. Duct tape, as well as most other adhesives, is an insulator and could cause more heat build-up.