Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need a good wireless adapter for HP g62x laptop with linux capability

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 22, 2011 2:50:37 PM

Like the title says, I need a wireless adapter for my HP laptop that is linux friendly. By friendly I mean the most I'd have to do is install the drivers to get it to work. I hear that intel brand adapters work with all linux distros but I'm a bit of trouble as most of the ones that I've found are not HP friendly :sarcastic:  . The current adapter I have is a RaLink (can't remember off the top of my head the model number). Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sick to the core with windows and I would be able to fix my desktop up for some time.
a b 5 Linux
June 22, 2011 4:18:17 PM

what distro are you using?

some distros can wrap windows drivers
June 22, 2011 4:22:39 PM

Fedora, Mint, OpenSuse, and Ubuntu, maybe manadrive. Shouldn't be any problems with these right?
Related resources
June 22, 2011 4:28:39 PM

Oh but not all of them at the same time. Forgot to mention that.
a b 5 Linux
June 22, 2011 4:35:57 PM

I have seen it done on Fedora, OpenSuse, and Ubuntu, the other two I am not sure
June 22, 2011 4:47:03 PM

Yeah I remember one of my sources bringing up n-something wrapping which seems like a trick to make the network adapter recognized. But isn't this gimmicky? I really don't mind buying the card needed but I'd no more than $30 unless absolutely necessary. I really just want to be done with winblows.
a b 5 Linux
June 22, 2011 4:55:06 PM

not 100% sure if this one will work with the HP

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
Pros: Compatible with the HP G62x laptop. Works with Linux (Ubuntu 10.10).

Cons: None so far.

Other Thoughts: I was pleasantly surprised as I had heard that some laptop vendors prevent certain wireless cards from working in their systems. Either I got lucky here and stumbled on a combination that works, or things aren't as bad as they once were.
June 22, 2011 5:02:50 PM

Thanks for your help man. I'll do a bit of research with it and see what I come up with. Worst case scenario is I have to use winblows 7 and use virtualbox and install a linux distro as a virtual machine. Because having to have a laptop plugged in the entire time kinda defeats the purpose of a laptop.
June 22, 2011 5:05:37 PM

Yeah apparently it's not, maybe I'll try the wrapping thing. Greatly appreciate the help anyway emerald. If anyone else has any suggestions I'd appreciate your contribution.
a b 5 Linux
June 22, 2011 5:17:02 PM

one of the comments said:

Pros: Compatible with the HP G62x laptop. Works with Linux (Ubuntu 10.10).

Cons: None so far.

Other Thoughts: I was pleasantly surprised as I had heard that some laptop vendors prevent certain wireless cards from working in their systems. Either I got lucky here and stumbled on a combination that works, or things aren't as bad as they once were.

a b 5 Linux
June 22, 2011 7:08:40 PM

Railink (the wireless chipset in your HP) has VERY GOOD linux support with the driver being open source. Are you having issues getting the driver installed? You should not need an external wireless device.
a b 5 Linux
June 23, 2011 12:01:13 AM

Pretty much all distributions support ndiswrapper, which is your "n-something" :D  Ralink has excellent support, and Atheros is also very good, as well as Intel.

Best solution

a b 5 Linux
June 23, 2011 12:25:51 AM

Also should not need ndiswrapper, as the source for ralink is available and buildable for linux. ndiswrapper should really only be used when the driver has a windows only binary.
a b 5 Linux
June 23, 2011 1:20:34 AM

skittle said:
Also should not need ndiswrapper, as the source for ralink is available and buildable for linux. ndiswrapper should really only be used when the driver has a windows only binary.

Just threw it out there so OP knew what the proper name was :) 
June 23, 2011 2:13:45 AM

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Had to finish dealing with visual studios for a research project but thanks for your input guys. Gonna definitely look at all my options including the card on newegg emerald suggested, I read somewhere that it didn't work but maybe they didn't know what they were doing, and the ndiswrapper (thanks pyroflea :D  ). You guys were a great help and thanks once again.
June 24, 2011 5:33:53 PM

I didn't want to start a new topic since I have a question closely related to the OP's:

I recently received a free Dell Latitude D820 with a non-functioning wifi unit. I have made sure the idiot switch is on and wifi is enabled in the BIOS, but it's not working.

I've installed the latest version of Ubuntu on it and am searching for a compatible wifi adapter--either express, pc card, or USB (the laptop has USB2.0).

Any recommendations?
--

Durrr. Here's the laptop's specs: http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/latitude-d820/pd?cs=28
August 3, 2011 3:38:40 AM

Best answer selected by Fenrir190.
!