Ubuntu 11.04 64 clean install will not boot

Xilos

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I was having some troubles installing windows 7 (install hang with no solution) and decided Ubuntu might be a decent route to install windows, or maybe I'd be satisfied and stay with Ubuntu.

Downloaded the official version of 11.04 AMD64, burnt the iso to DVD using windows, and went through the installation process (Having already formatted the drive), only to find that once I removed the installation media, as prompted, I was greeted with a blinking cursor in the top left corner.

There were no errors during the installation and I can boot using the liveCD no problem.

I am installing this on a 2.8ghz i7 processor, 8GB of DDR3, and installing it on a 120GB SSD.

This is my first crack at any linux distro

Thanks

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
This is a strange issue... I'd say it is a storage or CD issue.. maybe your CD has an issue booting off the drive... LiveCD uses your RAM, not the Solid state drive... So, I'd say your SSD might not be properly recognised by BIOS for you to boot Linux onto it.
Or, your SSD is not formatted in NTFS...
I'm assuming you have a computer where you can check this out... I will most likely not be able to help you sovle the problem... since I'm pretty new to Linux myself, but hopefully something I said will help :)