I Need A New Analog/Digital Cell Phone

Last response: in Network Providers
January 6, 2005 5:00:51 PM

I travel out west in my motor home and much of the time I connect with
analog.

I need a new cell phone but am unable to find a newer cell phone with both
analog and digital. Anyone know where I can purchase this?

Will Cingular activate the new phone, or will they give me a hard time
because of the analog part? I know they will not activate analog only
phones.

Thanks,

Dennis
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:20:08 PM

In article <nwbDd.1922$%e1.1785@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"Dennis Vogel" <dvogel@sprynet.com> wrote:

> I travel out west in my motor home and much of the time I connect with
> analog.
>
> I need a new cell phone but am unable to find a newer cell phone with both
> analog and digital. Anyone know where I can purchase this?
>
> Will Cingular activate the new phone, or will they give me a hard time
> because of the analog part? I know they will not activate analog only
> phones.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

You may be better served going with Verizon.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:53:06 PM

In article <nwbDd.1922$%e1.1785@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
dvogel@sprynet.com says...
> I travel out west in my motor home and much of the time I connect with
> analog.
>
> I need a new cell phone but am unable to find a newer cell phone with both
> analog and digital. Anyone know where I can purchase this?
>
> Will Cingular activate the new phone, or will they give me a hard time
> because of the analog part? I know they will not activate analog only
> phones.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

You can activate a GAIT phone on a Cingular GSM plan and add the no-
charge "GAIT feature" to enable TDMA and AMPS. Sony Ericsson T62u and
Nokia 6340i. Doubt if you can still buy them anywhere at Cingular but
you can get one off eBay--just be sure it's not locked.

Actually I think you'll find very few areas "out west" that can't
connect either GSM or TDMA--it's been ages since I've seen ANY area that
required analog.

As Jack said--or go Verizon. They still have CDMA/AMPS models and roam
heavily on AMPS in rural areas. Too heavily for me--I *like* my digital
features and long battery life!!!
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

> You can activate a GAIT phone on a Cingular GSM plan and add the no-
> charge "GAIT feature" to enable TDMA and AMPS. Sony Ericsson T62u and
> Nokia 6340i. Doubt if you can still buy them anywhere at Cingular but
> you can get one off eBay--just be sure it's not locked.

Locked to Cingular would be ok.
They still have a few T62u at the authorized dealers around Birmingham, AL.
!