Non-anamorphic widescreen DVD to Samsung HLP set

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 31, 2004 2:57:07 AM

This isn't exactly on topic for HDTV, but this seems like the best forum to
ask, so please forgive me.

I came across a problem with my HL-P4663 watching a DVD that was widescreen,
non-anamorphic. It seems like I only had two choices (besides watching a
distorted picture): I could set the TV to 4:3 mode, and have bars all around
the picture, or I could switch the DVD to S-video out, turn off progressive
scan, and then the TV would allow me to use the zoom mode that is designed
for this problem.

Watching it at a reduced size is a lot easier overall, but a bit annoying.

I'm wondering whether there was another way that I don't know about. Or, do
some DVD players have a way to deal with this? I have a cheap Philips
DVP642, but I don't really want to get another one yet.

--
Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 4:25:35 AM

Marty wrote:

> I came across a problem with my HL-P4663 watching a DVD that was
> widescreen, non-anamorphic. It seems like I only had two choices
> (besides watching a distorted picture): I could set the TV to 4:3
> mode, and have bars all around the picture, or I could switch the DVD
> to S-video out, turn off progressive scan, and then the TV would
> allow me to use the zoom mode that is designed for this problem.

Maybe they improved that in later models... my Samsung lets you zoom
480p input, as long as it's 4:3. (Unfortunately, it zooms it a bit
more horizontally than it does vertically.)
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 6:51:01 AM

What are you using for Video out, now? Why aren't you using the S-video all
the time?

"Marty" <this.address@is.invalid> wrote in message
news:D o49t0d1h4iuski1dnckn47vo3so45c1d6@4ax.com...
> This isn't exactly on topic for HDTV, but this seems like the best forum
> ask, so please forgive me.
>
> I came across a problem with my HL-P4663 watching a DVD that was
widescreen,
> non-anamorphic. It seems like I only had two choices (besides watching a
> distorted picture): I could set the TV to 4:3 mode, and have bars all
around
> the picture, or I could switch the DVD to S-video out, turn off
progressive
> scan, and then the TV would allow me to use the zoom mode that is designed
> for this problem.
>
> Watching it at a reduced size is a lot easier overall, but a bit annoying.
>
> I'm wondering whether there was another way that I don't know about. Or,
do
> some DVD players have a way to deal with this? I have a cheap Philips
> DVP642, but I don't really want to get another one yet.
>
> --
> Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
> "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
> well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
Related resources
January 1, 2005 8:28:02 PM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 03:51:01 -0500, <jrhx@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>What are you using for Video out, now? Why aren't you using the S-video all
>the time?

He should be using component which is alot better quality then s-video. On my
Sammy DLP I can watch non-anamorphic widescreen dvds by simply keeping the dvd
player set to 16:9 as it should be then using "zoom 1" on the Samsung tv.
January 5, 2005 12:19:17 AM

Somewhere around Sat, 01 Jan 2005 17:28:02 -0500, while reading
alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from Baked
<baked@nowhere.invalid>:

>On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 03:51:01 -0500, <jrhx@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>What are you using for Video out, now? Why aren't you using the S-video all
>>the time?
>
>He should be using component which is alot better quality then s-video. On my
>Sammy DLP I can watch non-anamorphic widescreen dvds by simply keeping the dvd
>player set to 16:9 as it should be then using "zoom 1" on the Samsung tv.

That's what I would do if "zoom 1" weren't disabled when using the component
input. Maybe there's some magic incantation I'm missing. I think I'm
inadvertently using the component 2 input - maybe I should try switching to
component 1 to see if there's a difference there.

Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
January 7, 2005 5:32:45 PM

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:19:17 GMT, Marty <this.address@is.invalid> wrote:

>That's what I would do if "zoom 1" weren't disabled when using the component
>input. Maybe there's some magic incantation I'm missing. I think I'm
>inadvertently using the component 2 input - maybe I should try switching to
>component 1 to see if there's a difference there.

On my year old Sammy "component 1" is the only one that supports 480p. Worth a
try.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 9:14:08 AM

Marty wrote:
>> Somewhere around Sat, 01 Jan 2005 17:28:02 -0500, while reading
>> alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from Baked
>> <baked@nowhere.invalid>:

>>> He should be using component which is alot better quality then
>>> s-video. On my Sammy DLP I can watch non-anamorphic widescreen dvds
>>> by simply keeping the dvd player set to 16:9 as it should be then
>>> using "zoom 1" on the Samsung tv.
>>
>> That's what I would do if "zoom 1" weren't disabled when using the
>> component input. Maybe there's some magic incantation I'm missing.
>> I think I'm inadvertently using the component 2 input - maybe I
>> should try switching to component 1 to see if there's a difference
>> there.

Marty, try setting the DVD player to ouput at 480i, not progressive. That
way, ZOOM1 should become available.
January 11, 2005 1:08:14 AM

Somewhere around Sat, 8 Jan 2005 06:14:08 -0800, while reading
alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from "Bruce Phillips"
<nobody@home.ok>:

>Marty wrote:
>>> Somewhere around Sat, 01 Jan 2005 17:28:02 -0500, while reading
>>> alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from Baked

>>> That's what I would do if "zoom 1" weren't disabled when using the
>>> component input. Maybe there's some magic incantation I'm missing.
>>> I think I'm inadvertently using the component 2 input - maybe I
>>> should try switching to component 1 to see if there's a difference
>>> there.
>
>Marty, try setting the DVD player to ouput at 480i, not progressive. That
>way, ZOOM1 should become available.

That's a good idea - I guess I assumed the TV wasn't that smart.
Unfortunately, the video was a rental, and I haven't gotten another one
that's non-anamorphic, but maybe I could test that out anyway just to see if
it helps, for in the future.

Marty

Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
January 11, 2005 1:10:02 AM

Somewhere around Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:32:45 -0500, while reading
<baked@nowhere.invalid>:

>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:19:17 GMT, Marty <this.address@is.invalid> wrote:
>
>>That's what I would do if "zoom 1" weren't disabled when using the component
>>input. Maybe there's some magic incantation I'm missing. I think I'm
>>inadvertently using the component 2 input - maybe I should try switching to
>>component 1 to see if there's a difference there.
>
>On my year old Sammy "component 1" is the only one that supports 480p. Worth a
>try.
Well, it seems that mine supports 480p on component 2. The next test is to
see if just switching the DVD player to 480i will enable the zoom function.

Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
!