autoexec.bat and config.sys files were deleted!

nutnut

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I deleted my autoexec.bat and config.sys files from my C drive a long time ago when I had a problem and followed some dubious advice. I really don't understand my PC particularly well, it just works and I love it :love:

I don't really have a problem with my machine, though it just doesn't seem to be working to its full potential and I'm wondering if deleting these files has anything to do with it and if it's possible to make new ones assuming I actually need them. :??:

I'm running Windows XP SP2

:bounce:

NYTechie

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Autoxec and Config.sys are still used. If they weren't Microsoft would of removed them alltogether.

DOS Programs (some Games) and utilities use them... THE BEST THING TO DO IN THE FUTURE... NEVER DELETE!
ONLY RENAME THE WINDOWS FILE(s). WHEN IT COMES TO POSSIBLE VIRUSES BACK THEM UP AND SHRED THE CULPRIT.

Did your PC start to act up after you deleted them? What else did you do prior to this happening. Visiting some websites, Downloading "Free" or "trial" software, Downloading Mp3s, Videos, etc and playing them on your PC Can add a ton of viruses, adware, spyware, rootkits, trojans, Snailing background running programs to your system. the best thing to do is ue multiple Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware program Scanners one after the other to scan your system. And you'll be surprised to see that when one didnt pick something up the other does... and if not... after a few months pass and the Antivirus companies detect and add the signatures to the program... (and you update..) That then they do detect them.

The easiest thing to do is bring it to the PROS! That what I did and I go it running faster then ever before. Don't try random things that people suggest unless you know they know what they're talking about. You'll spend less time and money doing it right the first time. ;)