Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Vista Flag Wavers

Last response: in Windows Vista
September 3, 2008 2:45:31 AM

Edited by 4ryan6

This thread was originally started out of my anger and frustration at the numerous unsuccessful attempts I'd made to resolve the issues I was facing in getting Vista to perform as I wanted it to, it was purposely set to cause anger in current Vista users so I could get some serious feedback, after which I rethought things and approached solving my problems one more time.

I'm editing this because it did cause anger and possibly offended some I didn't want to offend in the first place, and continues to get defense responses from some that haven't read the entire thread, so heres my Vista take as of now.

I've solved all the issues I was having with Vista, I'm running Vista Home Premium 64bit presently with 4G of memory, and to my surprise it not only has caught WinXP Pros performance it has surpassed it in every benchmark I've run on it, its even running some 32bit games better than the 32bit Operating system did, so I recant all of the previous nagative statements about Vista! I am thoroughly pleased with it and its performance, and if this recant isn't good enough theres an apology further down in the thread!

In my opinion it was necessary to edit the opening of this thread because some of the statements concerning the operating system itself were not accurate, as its obvious now the problems were caused by hardware and drivers not up to Vistas specifications, and the operating system itself was not at fault!

Have a great day everyone! Ryan

More about : vista flag wavers

September 3, 2008 3:09:50 AM

Sorry Ryan, I'm not buying it.

I actually sit here and use the OS all the time. I don't switch back and forth because I don't NEED to... Vista does what I ask of it and it does it at least as well as XP. As for Vista on laptops... well when you get a bazillion third-party apps running in the background (and we know that all OEMs do this), plus the OS running on 1GB of RAM (or less... let's not forget shared memory!)... of course it's going to run like crap. It was the same situation with XP at release... build the cheapest computers you can, load it up with crapware, then release it to an unsuspecting public.

If you did a clean install of Windows on these laptops, you'd find a dramatic difference in performance. I have a Toshiba laptop... and I've disabled most of the crapware that came with it... it runs just fine. Mind you, I did upgrade it to 2GB... but I can't stand having anything less than a full 1GB of memory on ANY system.

If it's slow to you, I don't have an answer for you... it runs like butter on my system. I play the games I want to play and I play them at good framerates. If that's not your experience, then there's nothing more I can say. You'll be saying the exact same things about Windows 7, I'll wager.
September 3, 2008 3:53:47 AM

Zoron said:
Sorry Ryan, I'm not buying it.

I actually sit here and use the OS all the time. I don't switch back and forth because I don't NEED to... Vista does what I ask of it and it does it at least as well as XP. As for Vista on laptops... well when you get a bazillion third-party apps running in the background (and we know that all OEMs do this), plus the OS running on 1GB of RAM (or less... let's not forget shared memory!)... of course it's going to run like crap. It was the same situation with XP at release... build the cheapest computers you can, load it up with crapware, then release it to an unsuspecting public.

If you did a clean install of Windows on these laptops, you'd find a dramatic difference in performance. I have a Toshiba laptop... and I've disabled most of the crapware that came with it... it runs just fine. Mind you, I did upgrade it to 2GB... but I can't stand having anything less than a full 1GB of memory on ANY system.

If it's slow to you, I don't have an answer for you... it runs like butter on my system. I play the games I want to play and I play them at good framerates. If that's not your experience, then there's nothing more I can say. You'll be saying the exact same things about Windows 7, I'll wager.

Sorry Zoron, I'm not selling it.

Seeing as how you've accepted Vista a long time ago and I know that because you had encouraged me to give it another chance and I have, you say:

Quote:
I actually sit here and use the OS all the time. I don't switch back and forth because I don't NEED to... Vista does what I ask of it and it does it at least as well as XP.

Well thats my point Zoron, unless you boot between the two operating systems you have nothing but past memories to compare to, you don't have any real time comparison to compare to.

A school bus driver may have the fastest bus in the fleet but they all run the same speed, until he pulls it up beside another ungoverned bus, he doesn't now the difference, you can get used to anything if you use it long enough.

My statements come from actually booting between the two as I've already stated.

Quote:

Well if Windows 7 is no better than Vista with SP1, you can count on it!
September 3, 2008 4:35:46 AM

Vista 64 is the Sarah Palin of OS's.

Using Windows Xp is like being so drunk you break the blood vessels in your face pukin' an wake up next to an old old rag like this self proclaimed woman pioneer.

Vista gets the chicks man.
September 3, 2008 6:46:20 AM

I've had XP installed on my new system. I have a basis for comparison between XP and Vista on the same hardware. I don't notice any difference. Nothing seems slower to me, and again, everything runs the way I expect it to. I have no idea why it seems so much slower to you.
September 3, 2008 10:47:26 AM

Ryan - You are operating on the presumption that we care.

We don't.

But if it made you feel better to type the same garbage people type for Each And Every OS ever released, well.. At least that's something.

Enjoy your day.
September 3, 2008 11:34:31 AM

Zoron said:
I've had XP installed on my new system. I have a basis for comparison between XP and Vista on the same hardware. I don't notice any difference. Nothing seems slower to me, and again, everything runs the way I expect it to. I have no idea why it seems so much slower to you.

Its not just slower, don't just harp on one word, its got soundcard issues of which its had from the beginning, the issues are not as bad as they were but they're still there, also SLI problems, but of course its the graphics, motherboard, and soundcard, drivers at fault not Vista right.

Granted its better than when first released but it ain't there yet, and if you'll be honest about it, you'll admit that, and I am dual booting between Vista and XP Pro each system on its own HDD on the same computer, so its performance is definitely able to be compared like that.

It seems slower because it is slower!
September 3, 2008 11:47:26 AM

Scotteq said:
Ryan - You are operating on the presumption that we care.

We don't.

But if it made you feel better to type the same garbage people type for Each And Every OS ever released, well.. At least that's something.

Enjoy your day.

The people that will read this thread that are considering spending their hard earned money on this operating system will care!

Whether you do or not, is really irrelevent!

I'd love for this to be a thread of commendation to MSFTs achievement in developing Vista, and if it was worth it, I'd be doing it.

Like I've already stated, Vista is better than it was, but its not there yet.
September 3, 2008 11:54:25 AM

badge said:
Vista 64 is the Sarah Palin of OS's.

Using Windows Xp is like being so drunk you break the blood vessels in your face pukin' an wake up next to an old old rag like this self proclaimed woman pioneer.

Vista gets the chicks man.

And your point is?
September 3, 2008 12:11:09 PM

It would be understandable when a MSFT product would have a problem with another software developers product, but when MSFTs prize operating system has sound issues with its own Media Player, well who is to blame for that.

Of course its the soundcard drivers Right, couldn't be MSFTs fault their own products have problems.

If MSFT cannot get its own products to gel with each other, then how are other apps supposed to do so?

Well heres a plug for Vista, IE7 seems to work better than it does in XP.

and Aero is cool!

Thats about it!

September 3, 2008 12:19:57 PM

ahh, more stale haterade from an XP crybaby,

your unsupported opinions mean nothing except that you probably don't know how to operate a computer. Buy a Mac.

games are bad, sound is bad . . wow, scientific analysis like that is tough to counter

Vista 64 is kicking a$$ right now and you're left out in the cold, stuck in the past, good for you

There, you've started a flame war. Happy now?
September 3, 2008 12:30:34 PM

Actually, it's very clear what this thread is about: 4ryan6 doesn't like Vista, and suffered from a soundcard crippled by a manufacturer who couldn't/didn't write a proper driver. Regarding the media player: I don't have a problem with it and am even **gasp** running the 32 bit player in 64 bits. Given your issues with your sound card, I would again suspect the maker.

Look - We understand you don't like it. And if you don't like it, don't use it. Problem solved. And you can save yourself the effort of trolling for reactions, too!

Besides that, thank you for sharing and enjoy your day.
September 3, 2008 12:35:19 PM

notherdude said:
ahh, more stale haterade from a Luddite,

your unsupported opinions mean nothing except that you probably don't know how to operate a computer. Buy a Mac.

games are bad, sound is bad . . wow, scientific analysis like that is tough to counter

Vista 64 is kicking a$$ right now and you're left out in the cold, stuck in the past, good for you

There, you've started a flame war. Happy now?

Left out in the cold, stuck in the past, good for you?

What about booting between the two operating systems and actively comparing their performance do you not understand!

Its not like I'm complaining about an operating system I've never used, or refuse to install!

If you want scientific evidence the two operating systems have been performance benched by numerous reviews, including THG.

And yes I am Happy Now!
September 3, 2008 12:45:33 PM

Scotteq said:
Actually, it's very clear what this thread is about: 4ryan6 doesn't like Vista, and suffered from a soundcard crippled by a manufacturer who couldn't/didn't write a proper driver. Regarding the media player: I don't have a problem with it and am even **gasp** running the 32 bit player in 64 bits. Given your issues with your sound card, I would again suspect the maker.

Look - We understand you don't like it. And if you don't like it, don't use it. Problem solved. And you can save yourself the effort of trolling for reactions, too!

Besides that, thank you for sharing and enjoy your day.

Actually I don't like Vistas performance, it is Purdy Tho!
September 3, 2008 1:13:34 PM

I'll say again Vista is better than it was, but its just not there yet, and I do hope it gets there!

Maybe SP2 will make Vista the operating system I'm hoping for, and yes it is about 4ryan6s opinion, thats what this thread is all about.

And if you don't like my opinion, then you don't have to post comments in this thread, the majority aren't using Vista anyway, its really a minority of users at this point.

I only know of 2 users of Vista of all my friends and family, and thats because they purchased computers with Vista preinstalled,.

My curiosity is for a direct comparison between Vista and XP, and those that say XP is a dead issue, well thats just not true.

The problems in Vista are non existent in WinXP, and thats a fact, of course if you boot between the two, you'll know that yourself.
September 3, 2008 1:18:22 PM

Vista's performance?? Equal

Proof:

Extreme Tech Article: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2302495,00.a...

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_nvidia_windows_...

Performance issues: You are either running Vista on old hardware, or are too dumb/uneducated/lazy to set the system up properly and/or to learn how. Full Stop.

Regarding XP - I see plenty of day to day problems with it. And yes, I DO use both every day. Just take a look at the XP forums here, and you'll see the same stuff over there as you do here.

For the third time, Ryan: We understand that you don't like it. So don't use it, and get on with life.
September 3, 2008 2:13:34 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Left out in the cold, stuck in the past, good for you?

What about booting between the two operating systems and actively comparing their performance do you not understand!

Its not like I'm complaining about an operating system I've never used, or refuse to install!

If you want scientific evidence the two operating systems have been performance benched by numerous reviews, including THG.

And yes I am Happy Now!

dude, I frickin gurantee that pretty much EVERY enthiusiast here at Toms or elsewhere started out with a dual boot of XP and Vista. I know I did. I switched back and forth a bit until Vista was ready, like it is now, and now I never use XP on my main box. So BY YOUR LOGIC this proves the superiority of Vista. The benhchmarks are all over the place but no significant comparisons are showing much of a difference in performance at this time. XP wins some by a bit and Vista wins others, by a bit. Scotteq posted some from trusted sites. You got a problem with extermetech?

You come here ANGRY to begin with (vista sucks!!!) and then vent a bunch of opinions supported only by your own, obviously jaundiced, experience. You sir, have failed. You have proven a very important thing however - the vista sux movement is now running on empty and desperate as hell -
September 3, 2008 10:13:51 PM

Scotteq said:
Vista's performance?? Equal

Proof:

Extreme Tech Article: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2302495,00.a...

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_nvidia_windows_...

Performance issues: You are either running Vista on old hardware, or are too dumb/uneducated/lazy to set the system up properly and/or to learn how. Full Stop.

Regarding XP - I see plenty of day to day problems with it. And yes, I DO use both every day. Just take a look at the XP forums here, and you'll see the same stuff over there as you do here.

For the third time, Ryan: We understand that you don't like it. So don't use it, and get on with life.

Well as far as performance I can't argue with those articles you posted, it definitely appears Vista has caught up performance wise, possibly my problems are else where, I do have the latest drivers for everything, and my hardware is not old, so thanks for those links it was interesting reading.

September 4, 2008 12:52:53 PM

Well an apology is in order from me to you guys, and I do apologize if I've offended anyone, my anger at the time was towards the operating system that I had numerous times tried to resolve to no joy.

I bought an ASUS Crosshair II Formula motherboard and installed the Supreme FX II HD soundcard that came with the M/B, specifically because it had a dedicated installation slot and I was hoping to avoid any hardware conflicts, as ASUS has delivered in the past with some of its SLI M/Bs.

Well I decided to uninstall the ASUS soundcard and Install my Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro, and not only has my entire host of sound issues completely disappeared, my performance has increased, and now Vista is performing as I was hoping it would.

My apologies to anyone I've offended, I was extremely frazzled about the issues I was encountering and probably shot off my mouth in distress, as I sometimes do, but it feels good to have the system running good, and I guess Vista wasn't to blame for the problems after all. Ryan
September 4, 2008 12:56:18 PM

Rated you up... Disappointed I can only give one point.

Scott :) 
September 4, 2008 1:02:38 PM

Thanks 4ryan6, props for the excellent apology, sorry if I offended you back

September 5, 2008 2:47:43 AM

Just as we were saying... sometimes MS truly isn't to blame. I'm glad you found the problem and managed to solve it! Now you can enjoy Vista like the rest of us. You weren't necessarily wrong... you just fell into the same trap as a lot of people. It's easier to blame Vista than troubleshoot the issue sometimes.
September 5, 2008 5:01:23 PM

I do believe though that there were known issues with the creative cards, like creative refusing to write drivers for some cards....hhmm. I don't think I'll be buying a creative card anytime soon.
September 5, 2008 5:07:28 PM

Go back too Windows 95!!!!
September 5, 2008 8:03:44 PM

/me recants his reply after reading the posts in which ryan apologizes.... those previous dozen posts had me fired up to post a reply !
September 8, 2008 4:13:22 AM

I was going to respond but then I read your apology. Vista is great, you just have to know how to use it. I like it better than XP, personally.
September 9, 2008 10:56:32 PM

im in the vista boat as well. I use a 64bit and so many people warned me about compatibilty issues. Well Ive had none, it loads up fast and i havent had a crash since the first week of building this system (which is normal with building new systems, always gotta tweek things) most of my experiences with people having issues with vista is because there hardware was poor. I like vista. if you have trouble with it buy a mac its more user friendly. otherwise learn about computers and youll have a fine time with vista
!