BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Today AMD has released info on it's new Mobile rocessor called Grifin. Griffin, contrary to what many people believed IS NOT based on K10 but on K8. It has several advances that should mae idle power nearly negligible with additional sleep states and the ability to throttle each core independently.

This announcement also makes fools of all those wo doubted the addition of the 4 cycles of latency they SAID was to allow for larger caches at 65nm.

As we all know Brisbane only has 512KB L2 while Griffin has 1MB. I guess they are going to increase the cache after all. Yet another time when Intel fangirls should have listened.

Links everywhere, The Register, Anand, THG, etc.

They also reportedly tweaked the IMC for independent operation and better prefetching. It looks like it is following AMDs usual power before perf mantra but the enancements talked about may provide 10-20% improvement over Turion.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
If this is a "system on a chip" and even if this is not a "star" core, I won't mind having a Athlon X2 in a UMPC!

It may be my next laptop. I have a 1.6GHz Turion now, but I can't upgrade the CPU so I need to buy a new one. This gives me a reason to skip the vanilla 65nm Turion.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Baron, I doubt Intel fangirls will be be impressed with the Griffin and the Puma. You forgot that at same time Intel will release Nehaleem, which will have be more integrated platform and its performance numbers would be at least +50% as same clocked Turion.
Once again, your pro AMD news failed to make AMD look better than Intel.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
This announcement also makes fools of all those wo doubted the addition of the 4 cycles of latency they SAID was to allow for larger caches at 65nm.

As we all know Brisbane only has 512KB L2 while Griffin has 1MB. I guess they are going to increase the cache after all. Yet another time when Intel fangirls should have listened.
This sounds most like flame bait. I don't see it making fools of anyone the way it is written.

90nm Toledo and Windsor are capable of handling 1MB L2. A direct shrink into 65nm should likewise handle the same amount of cache with no additional latency, at the same process quality.

But from your description, Griffin sounds like K8 computational cores hooked up to K10 IMC and power circuitry. That power circuitry could be the reason for increasing L2 latency - it's a by-product of being able to clock the separate caches asynchronously.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Baron, I doubt Intel fangirls will be be impressed with the Griffin and the Puma. You forgot that at same time Intel will release Nehaleem, which will have be more integrated platform and its performance numbers would be at least +50% as same clocked Turion.

Agreed.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Why would I be trying to make one company look better than the other? Im not you. Besides, if these chips can make a battery last for 7 hours (they are claiming 5 for the vanilla 65nm chips), that will get more business than if it can do SuperPi in 10 sec.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

This sounds most like flame bait. I don't see it making fools of anyone the way it is written.

90nm Toledo and Windsor are capable of handling 1MB L2. A direct shrink into 65nm should likewise handle the same amount of cache with no additional latency, at the same process quality.

But from your description, Griffin sounds like K8 computational cores hooked up to K10 IMC and power circuitry. That power circuitry could be the reason for increasing L2 latency - it's a by-product of being able to clock the separate caches asynchronously.

The Brisbane was originally designed for 512KB, but they wanted the option of increasing the cache. Obviously for this very purpose. It's not my fault that everyone here negatively viewed the latency change without considering the reasons.

They even said why and still foolishness prevailed. Now they have announced the increase in cache and it's flame bait?

Fine. It is.

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Cache is not the reason for flaming. It is your tone and the message delivered, curiously deviod of any balance. There is no news out of AMD that means anything right now, because they over promise and under deliver. Until there is a product releasedand and it benches worth a darn, this entire topic is moot.

The fact that this product is not due until mid 2008 errrr.......... 2009, errrr.......... 2010 or whenever they get around to it.

gOJDO, why don't we wait until there is more information about the chips before we try to make performance speculations? To do otherwise is pretty much just trolling. Intel hasn't said much about 45 nm laptop chips nor let anybody do a direct clock-for-clock comparison between Wolfdale/Yorkfield and Conroe/Kentsfield and AMD hasn't said any performance numbers about Griffin yet, so it's all just conjecture at this point.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Why would I be trying to make one company look better than the other? Im not you. Besides, if these chips can make a battery last for 7 hours (they are claiming 5 for the vanilla 65nm chips), that will get more business than if it can do SuperPi in 10 sec.

Baron

This does come off as a bit 9-inch-ish.

Dont get riled, unlike him you dont post and run, and you do stay around to defend your perpective. But neglecting to include the fact that release is set for mid 2008 is a glaring omision, and the "many people" and "Intel fangirls" comments lend a decidedly skewed flavor.

The 2008 bit is huge though. They are still working to introduce new K8 products 2 years after C2D. Not particularly heartening news. I hope they plan on supplying them at low costs.

creativename

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
It is a ways off, which brings up another question to me. In these recent mobile announcements, there is no mention of "hawk". This was supposed to be Q2, but then slipped to Q3/Q4 like everything else of AMDs. Had support for Hybrid HDD and had the on-the-fly switch from discrete to integrated video, i believe. I assume DX10 video also, but not sure. Maybe not as impressive as Puma, but as you say, Puma's a ways off.

Is the Puma fanfare to make us forget about a hopelessly delayed Hawk, or is Hawk just not a big enough deal to hype?

Of concern to those like myself who will get a new laptop in the fall...

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006

There were K8 before with less latency and 1MB L2 per core, so I don't know where the Intel fangirls are wrong.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Well, cmon now Vern, ya have to have a little patience. It takes a lot longer to achieve relability when your busy remaining virginally pure of heart and all that other jazz. :wink: Besides, didnt you see the interview....AMD sells "freedom", ( :roll: ) not perfromance. At least not when Intel holds the performance crown that is. :lol:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Cache is not the reason for flaming. It is your tone and the message delivered, curiously deviod of any balance. There is no news out of AMD that means anything right now, because they over promise and under deliver. Until there is a product releasedand and it benches worth a darn, this entire topic is moot.

The fact that this product is not due until mid 2008 errrr.......... 2009, errrr.......... 2010 or whenever they get around to it.

News is news. Flame away. I have flame retardant skin. Look at how long Intel has been promising CSI and dual core Itanium. Is that different? How?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

There were K8 before with less latency and 1MB L2 per core, so I don't know where the Intel fangirls are wrong.

Maybe it's because the forest is in the way.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
It is a ways off, which brings up another question to me. In these recent mobile announcements, there is no mention of "hawk". This was supposed to be Q2, but then slipped to Q3/Q4 like everything else of AMDs. Had support for Hybrid HDD and had the on-the-fly switch from discrete to integrated video, i believe. I assume DX10 video also, but not sure. Maybe not as impressive as Puma, but as you say, Puma's a ways off.

Is the Puma fanfare to make us forget about a hopelessly delayed Hawk, or is Hawk just not a big enough deal to hype?

Of concern to those like myself who will get a new laptop in the fall...

Hawk is just a 65nm shrink for Turion and they say that it's shippng to OEMs now. with system availability by the end of the month.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
If you take what henri said this time into the context of providing an escape from Intels megalomaniacal world domination plans, this could be seen as an adequate statement.

This is part of the core of AMD that makes me a buyer. And its more than enough reason for AMD to grow and become just as powerful as Intel.

I can only wonder why you still have that avatar and location.

RichPLS

Champion
Yet another time when Intel fangirls should have listened.
If this is a "system on a chip" and even if this is not a "star" core, I won't mind having a Athlon X2 in a UMPC!

It may be my next laptop. I have a 1.6GHz Turion now, but I can't upgrade the CPU so I need to buy a new one. This gives me a reason to skip the vanilla 65nm Turion.

Baron, is this imagined futuristic vision of a laptop going to compliment your power horse brute of a PC... you know the one we have envied since inception from your vivid and detailed tales of lore told about your uber efficient Geode 4x4... fabricated by AMD [/inconjunction with SuperSwamper] ... it's a mate made in heaven, Like Little Big-Man... or the Engine that Could...

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Wow

Baron, you have been getting no love what so ever accross several threads the past few days. Feels like your a target.

dartbaronyf5.jpg

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Maybe it's because the forest is in the way.

No, it is because you understand nothing, nothing at all ..... and swallow any excuse AMD provides you as the gospel truth.... the latency is process driven and any excuse otherwise is pure FUD.

BTW, I hear that the dual socket enthusaist part won't support > 4 gigs...

I don't CARE. I guess that would be a good excuse as the 65nm process is redone to be mobile specific. Or vice versa.

FUD is not propping up your products it's devaluing other's products.