WG1337

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Hi!
I am having my computer for almost 2 years and I must complain now about computer being slow.
Thought the problem was in windows so I reinstalled windows(Windws XP Pro SP3).
At the first time that was madness, because it took 10 minutes to windows boot up, I did reinstalled the windows again and the time to boot up was aprox. 2 minutes(slower then it was before, but atleast better).
Now there is no problem when I open a notepad or I download a small file, but it is a big problem when the file is larger then 100MB.
When that file is copied or download the computer is very very slow, can't even open an explorer windows or start firefox.
I had an idea that there is a problem with my HDD, but I don't know any tools that will prove that.
Here is some info about my computer:
Motherboard: ESC Rev 1.0 P965T-A
Graphic card: Inno3D 7600 GTS
HDD: WDC3200JS
I don't think that copying 400MB should take 20 minutes!

WG1337

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Im using NOD32 (never failed me before). I used this software before and didn't have any problems.
Tried using PerfectDisc 8 to defrag the drive but that didn't help.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
You are most likely having IRQ, or driver problems, here is a link to check for drivers, the con is you need to buy the software to use their update.This will give you a good start to check if the drivers are correct. http://driveragent.com/?PHPSESSID=ljkipsnb2nq7b5e9l19b1tkk42
I got a feeling your are not using sata udma mode. In bios check, also make sure your bios is set to Auto OS NO.
could you give a snap of your irq steering and give it to us, system information, conflict/sharing, and dma, and irq. I've seen sound card,lan cards causing problems.
This is a start for now I did a transfer of a 4.5 gig folder from a wd 320 sata drive to a 120 wd sata in 2.5 mins so your are having problems.
To do a good check on the drive and system download ubcd and make a disk, easy to do and start checking
I'll keep this up to date for my own trouble shooting. Since you did a clean install spyware is not the problem stay tuned for more exciting stuff
Other things power,heat,power management but one thing at a time for now.

WG1337

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Sorry that I didn't reply.
I also have problems with another PC which you can see also in this forum :p
But screw that PC, this one is more important.
The problem isn't in drivers or any programs, because everything ran great before.

I downloaded the software.
What kind of a test should I run?

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Wanted to point something out I forgot. I was having Slowness with data transfer and I was checking everything. I had a feeling it was with pci steering and chipset drivers. System properties, device, IDE ATA/ATATI controllers. Via Bus Master IDE Controller. Sure enough after running Driver agent I found a update. I also moved my sound card to a different pci slot.

Extract the Intel chipset drivers to a folder and have the IDE drivers ready. Go to Device Manager, choose update, browse to the Intel IDE folder. Continue with. You should see something like, Intel ATA Channel, Intel Bus Master IDE Controller, and Intel Serial ATA Controller.

IF not and these say standard thats the problem. Look for an update for the, IDE/ATA, Serial ATA Controller for your mother board or chipset. Goggle is the best using operators syntax

Try reinstalling and leaving SP3 out of the picture and see if it all clears up, or if SP3 was added over SP2, go into safe mode and uninstall SP3.

IMO SP3 sucks! I and others have had nothing but trouble with it and you can run just fine without it, maybe about the end of this year MSFT will have solved its problems, but it ain't worth the hassle of trying to jump through all the hoops to get it to run right.

WG1337

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Ran great on SP2 and later on SP3!
Ok, I ran a diag tool and I needed to run a full media scan - this took a long time.
When it was finished I ran a quick test for HDD and later on there were many, many, many warning and at the end said about an error/status code: 0007
I will use Driver agent to find new drivers.

The SATA controller(JMicron) is having an old driver, downloading now and will see.
It wasn't the JMicron driver.
Next is Realtek ethernet driver - wasn't it either.

WG1337

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Once I added this same HDD(before a week ago) and I was able to transfer files at normal speed.
Maybe there is something more deeper inside the MB then just the HDD.
The southbridge could be giving up last moments of his life?

WG1337

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
I guess this is solved!
The problem was HDD - it's going to R.I.P. :p
Replaced the HDD with a 250GB Samsung SATA and I remebered how it should be working, forgot how great was the speed :)

[EDIT]
Bought even a new HDD (now its 500GB) and runs great.