Sign in with
Your question

11.04 Installation trouble

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 29, 2011 1:18:35 PM

Last night I upgraded 10.04 to 10.10 without any trouble. Once the computer restarted 10.10 it told me of the 11.04 upgrade that was available. So I upgraded, upon restarting this time the computer now boots to a striped screen, its kinda colorful, the pointer looks like a smaller square version of the screen with lighter stripes and there is nothing else. I cannot do anything from here but restart, or thats all I know how to do, does anyone know my next step?

More about : installation trouble

June 29, 2011 4:02:15 PM

I just tried using recovery mode and I get the same results trying to boot into this versions recovery mode. I get a failure message when booting into previous versions. This same thing happened when I tried to boot into mint using a disc, I remember.
m
l
June 29, 2011 10:02:52 PM

I see 94 people like this but no one has the solution, do you need a picture of it?

Its the Ubuntu Logo screen, or should be anyway. But instead it looks as though the video output is screwed up. It reminds me of this one time I tried to tell an old IBM to reboot as a Tandy. It was horrible but pretty much the same.
m
l
Related resources
June 29, 2011 11:11:08 PM

I know that sometimes upgrading rather than re-installing can cause issues, especially when done multiple times. It's possible that some dependencies have been messed up, or you have improper versions of some packages installed. There's a boatload of things it could be.

Your best bet would probably just be to re-install and start fresh. I'm sure there are other solutions, but that's probably the easiest, and will yield the best results.
m
l
June 30, 2011 3:00:50 AM

Pyroflea said:
I know that sometimes upgrading rather than re-installing can cause issues, especially when done multiple times. It's possible that some dependencies have been messed up, or you have improper versions of some packages installed. There's a boatload of things it could be.

Your best bet would probably just be to re-install and start fresh. I'm sure there are other solutions, but that's probably the easiest, and will yield the best results.

ok, so I downloaded the 11.04 iso 64 AMD, made the disk tried to boot from it and got the same thing:

well I took a picture but I have no idea how to upload it so....fail

:( 
m
l
June 30, 2011 3:04:24 AM

I was able to upload the picture as my avatar pic so it should appear shortly.
m
l
June 30, 2011 4:34:54 AM

For the record, if you upload the image to a photo hosting service such as PhotoBucket or Picasa, you can paste a link to the image in tags, and it will display it here.
m
l
July 3, 2011 1:55:50 AM

Pyroflea said:
For the record, if you upload the image to a photo hosting service such as PhotoBucket or Picasa, you can paste a link to the image in tags, and it will display it here.

I think its my video card that ubuntu doesn't like. I used the installation disc (same one) on my laptop and booted from it, it works perfectly with HD quality graphics. So for now I just installed windows on my desktop and now I am prepping my laptop for the ubuntu installation.
m
l
July 3, 2011 2:38:14 AM

What graphics card do you have?
m
l
July 4, 2011 5:50:13 AM

Asus HD 6450 silent
m
l
July 4, 2011 5:19:00 PM

Try installing using Wubi..
It works for me since I dual-boot Windows.

m
l
January 30, 2012 12:35:59 AM

I just put Windows back on my desktop that was giving me the problems and moved uuntu to the laptop
m
l
!