Hi,
I'm using a Fujitsu/Siemens Amilo D laptop with XP home, SP2, IE6. My logon
is password protected and everything was fine until just recently. I now have
to press the 'Num' key before typing my password or an error message asks if
I've 'forgotten my password.'
I think I can trace the problem back to cleaning the dust off the keyboard
as windows was booting up. I've probably unknowingly altered something by
doing this but don't know how to change it back. I've tried restoring back
but no joy. Any ideas?
TIA
J.J.

On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:25:02 -0700, J.J. wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm using a Fujitsu/Siemens Amilo D laptop with XP home, SP2, IE6. My logon
> is password protected and everything was fine until just recently. I now have
> to press the 'Num' key before typing my password or an error message asks if
> I've 'forgotten my password.'
> I think I can trace the problem back to cleaning the dust off the keyboard
> as windows was booting up. I've probably unknowingly altered something by
> doing this but don't know how to change it back. I've tried restoring back
> but no joy. Any ideas?
> TIA
> J.J.

Typically the number lock key is disabled at the Welcome screen. If enabled
in BIOS and if enabled when you log off of Windows, it will be available
for use within the Windows session.

You can manage to enable numlock for the logon screen as well but it takes
some extra steps to do so. MVP Kelly Theriot has the necessary information
under the topic "numlock" on the following page of her site:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi Sharon,
I tried your suggestion via 'K-K' but no joy, I even tried changing the
password in user accounts but no joy. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:41:03 -0700, J.J. wrote:

> Hi Sharon,
> I tried your suggestion via 'K-K' but no joy, I even tried changing the
> password in user accounts but no joy. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Other ideas: Use the number keys at the top of the keyboard. Use a
username/password combo with no numbers. Manually press Numlock and then
type username/password.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon,

> Other ideas: Use the number keys at the top of the keyboard. Use a
> username/password combo with no numbers.

I don't have any numbers in my password.

> Manually press Numlock and then
> type username/password.

That's what I have to do now to 'Logon' but I never used to have to. I know
it's not a big deal but it's annoying not knowing what changed or how to put
it right.
TIA
J.J.

On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:53:21 -0700, J.J. wrote:

> Sharon,
>
>> Other ideas: Use the number keys at the top of the keyboard. Use a
>> username/password combo with no numbers.
>
> I don't have any numbers in my password.
>
>> Manually press Numlock and then
>> type username/password.
>
> That's what I have to do now to 'Logon' but I never used to have to. I know
> it's not a big deal but it's annoying not knowing what changed or how to put
> it right.
> TIA
> J.J.

Don't know what else to suggest. I have not tweaked my system to allow
numlock to be available at logon but I do have the system setup to turn it
on during a Windows session. When I start the computer, the numlock light
is on until Windows starts loading the logon screen. It remains off until I
log on to Windows and is available until I turn the system off.

I touch type and occasionally fat finger numlock into the off state (End
and Numlock are next to each other on my keyboard). If I happen to notice
it before shutting down, I turn it back on so that the "on" state is saved
for the next session. If I leave it off, it's an extra step at the next
session to turn it back on again and you're right - it's a wee bit
annoying. The on/off state is saved by XP at each shutdown so have gotten
into the habit of checking for the numlock light before shutting down.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sorted,
After reading your last post, I hit on an idea. You said that you checked to
see if 'NumLock' was on/off before you closed windows. So I went through your
posts in reverse, ie, changed the string value back to off(0), then made sure
the keyboard indicator was on before I rebooted and bingo no error when I
logged on with my usual password. is this the right solution or have I got it
in reverse, ie, the string value should be on(2) and the keyboard indicator
off when I close down? Does it matter?
Thanks for your time and input Sharon,
Regards
J.J.

On Fri, 20 May 2005 13:44:15 -0700, J.J. wrote:

> Sorted,
> After reading your last post, I hit on an idea. You said that you checked to
> see if 'NumLock' was on/off before you closed windows. So I went through your
> posts in reverse, ie, changed the string value back to off(0), then made sure
> the keyboard indicator was on before I rebooted and bingo no error when I
> logged on with my usual password. is this the right solution or have I got it
> in reverse, ie, the string value should be on(2) and the keyboard indicator
> off when I close down? Does it matter?
> Thanks for your time and input Sharon,

If it works, it doesn't matter. I'm glad to hear that you were able to sort
this out with a little intuitive thinking added to the information