two isp's setup

juicebox

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
I'm not sure if this is the right section or anything. Basically what I have is two isp's coming into the home right now. I have about 7 pcs and I also have a linksys mimo router. I want to be capable of routing all of my isp traffic through isp-a and all of my video game traffic through isp-b. I run all windows machines and have no linux on any of them.

Would I need to buy a new router or something? I read a lot about how I just need to Proxy them. I have no clue how to set that up though. Any thoughts would be great or a link to what I should search or anything.

Thanks.

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Well I don't really know much about proxy servers but this is how I would do it. I would just set up the wireless router with ISP A as normal. Then I would get a cheap wired router and connect the wan to ISP B. I would then set the wired router to a static ip on the lan side in the same range as the wireless router and disable DHCP. I would then connect the wired router to the lan of the wireless router. Now this should set it up so by default everything connected goes to ISP-a. To use ISP-b you have to set static IP with the router 2 address as the gateway keeping everything else the same. I've never tested this but I believe it should work. If it doesn't disable DHCP on both routers then put the IP addresses in different ranges and assign all IP addresses manually (I know that will work). I've never had to set up a proxy server so I don't know if that would be easier but I know this would work.

calyn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
You can use 2 wifi routers and switch between them depending on content, but that is a manual action and you will always send all traffic at that moment through the active ISP. Each PC can use only one ISP at a time.

brw02005's option will cause you to have to change IP each time you want to change between video and surfing. An advanced router with policy-based routing and packet inspection (to determine media content) will be required to do this dynamically. Note that this is generally done by higher-end routers such as Cisco and Juniper and especilly configuring route-maps to facilitate this can be difficult. The advantage is that the end-user will have to do nothing and it will always route non-media content to ISP A and media content via ISP B, and you can use both ISP's simultaneously on all PC's

calyn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
Fair enough, but since the OP seems to want Cisco features it has to be pointed out you can't get it on a cheap Linksys. If the features are really that important, he/she will just have to bite the bullet.

billg3

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
You could use a 2-wan router such as the Linksys RV042 -$175 at NewEgg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124160

I personally have used the RV082 ($290) and it works well. You can assign traffic to specific WAN ports (ISP's) by LAN address or application ports. I used both methods and also used DHCP address reservation to always give each PC its own internal IP.

My setup used to be ISP's to RV082 with two wireless routers (DHCP off, best security option on) set up as access points and switches behind that. I no longer use that configuration as I have canceled one of the ISPs.

Hope this helps.

calyn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
The linksys is dual-homed for redundancy purposes. It cannot differentiate between different content in IP packets and route one type of content to ISP-A and another to ISP-B

pazsion

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
lol, dual homed is exactly what enabled more then one source or destination to be routed to one destination. They are open to each other you just have to allow the networks (ip's, protocols and firewalls and ports) to talk to each other. most routers and firewall software on the pc end. should allow for manual rules. And have packet inspection nat and other features.

If each of these devices the pc's routers switches etc. are setup as a server basically. You'll have to do some registry and windows boot.ini tweaking...and some research. In theory it works. I have a 100mb/s lan hooked up. and i can see both routers and isp's on pc's in the network being used.

Just need to submit stuff for public ridicule xD