Sign in with
Your question

Have An Extreme PC Mod? Tom's Hardware Wants You!

Last response: in Overclocking
May 18, 2007 5:53:21 PM

Hi, it's Ben Meyer from THG. I'm putting together a new video show based on extreme PC mods and am looking for submissions from our audience.

If you, your company or someone you know has a interesting PC mod and wants to be showered with IPTV fame, please email me a picture of the rig and brief description of the mod to: surfbum@tomshardware.com.

Thanks and I look foward to hearing from you,

Ben
May 24, 2007 4:39:51 AM

whats the incentive?
May 24, 2007 5:14:59 AM

Quote:
to be showered with IPTV fame,
Related resources
July 10, 2007 4:51:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi, it's Ben Meyer from THG. I'm putting together a new video show based on extreme PC mods and am looking for submissions from our audience.

If you, your company or someone you know has a interesting PC mod and wants to be showered with IPTV fame, please email me a picture of the rig and brief description of the mod to: surfbum@tomshardware.com.

Thanks and I look foward to hearing from you,

Ben
Ben, can you give me authentication that your .com address is legit and you are an employee of tomshardware network, your license policy for your .com address is not registered has no secure policy. Who is using this information, an agreement with your intent?

Sorry for quote stacking but it clearly states that his rank is THG Video Producer, sorry for pointingout the obvious.
July 19, 2007 10:11:18 PM

i was wondering what an extreme PC mod would be? Would a nice looking water cooled PC with black fluid be considered extreme?
July 19, 2007 11:01:34 PM

When they say extreme mods guys it means basically building something unique. Like taking a toaster and turning it into a computer. No nice rigs that are all store bought. Effort into something unique and no body has or has done.
July 27, 2007 1:22:45 AM

Looks like my mod was way too extreme for this thread because they removed my earlier post. So, I will re-post:

I have this one computer I built in which I installed a DVD player with a white bezel into a black case.
August 13, 2007 3:43:44 PM

I have a really insane mod involving removal of all logos on the case, along with the legend 'Keep your headspace clean!'
August 26, 2007 9:44:31 AM

How about a PC case made from a coffin, you have a lot of room to work with. Sorry guys I just like shiny wood, and you could stand it upright.
September 5, 2007 11:12:36 PM

I have a wood case...but it's not a coffin!

I return to the forums to find wierdness and confusion... who is Mr. Taco and where is the real taco?

September 6, 2007 12:06:32 AM

So it's you! Why are there so many new names that are actually old veterans? I can't say I like navigating around the forums the way its set up, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I submitted my case but then I saw the date on the original post, probably too late and my case isn't that "extreme" anyway. Does look a bit different now with different lighting and different mobo in it.
September 6, 2007 1:35:31 AM

tool_462 said:
I have a wood case...but it's not a coffin!

I return to the forums to find wierdness and confusion... who is Mr. Taco and where is the real taco?

I was wondering the same thing.....where did everyone go!
September 10, 2007 5:40:16 PM

i always thought it would be cool...literally...to make one out of a mini fridge...
September 10, 2007 7:12:49 PM

That Doom case is the most spectacular, rediculous creation ever. 15 months, WOW!
September 10, 2007 8:08:46 PM

kcwa said:
i always thought it would be cool...literally...to make one out of a mini fridge...

I had the same thought. Only potential problem I could think of was the compressor motor, a lot of wear and tear would be expected, but it's possible to change it out with one rated for continuous duty. Still probably wouldn't last too terribly long however. That and it would eat a ton of power since the motor would be running so much. I've currently got a freakin' huge wood case that I built sitting here, it's far too ugly to submit, very much function over form. My fav thing about it is that it has one huge air intake that comes through a replacable automotive air filter (low flow restriction, noise, and no dust). That was my single creative brainstorm. Other than that it's just a 2 pump, 2 rad setup, nothing to write home about. Oh, and I was able to put a window on the top, which is neat, but definately somewhat of a PITA.
September 18, 2007 2:05:37 AM

one thing i thought abvout the mini fridge is that their might be condensation...and yeah the compressor wouldnt last a long time...guess il have to use water cooling lol

and your wood case sounds pretty cool lol post a pic
September 19, 2007 9:37:54 PM

A note on the mini fridge idea, if someone has the means and the desire, here is what I would do:

1. Buy two radiators.
2. Put one radiator outside the fridge and the other one inside the fridge.

The idea behind it: A.) keep the load on the fridge down, B.) have a two stage cooling process that uses the ambient temperature of the air to cool (more efficient) and have ice-cold fluid going back to your system.

Ok, I know I'll get flamed for the suggestion, let me cover my bases:

I'm a chemical engineer, so I know thermo, heat transfer, basic physics principles, etc. Yes, the heat is ultimately being distributed within the system (in this case, the house) resulting in higher cooling costs. However, the fridge should run more efficiently (because of the lower heat load), and last longer, since it's only cooling the fluid from ambient temperature (theoretically) to whatever temperature you like to keep your beer. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than investing in a phase change system.

Overall, I think it would be totally sweet to see a computer like that.
September 19, 2007 11:47:48 PM

What you need to do with the fridge is put a TON of extra water in there. This will help with the compressor life issue because of all the stored 'cold' in the water. Thus the compressor would have to run much less often. You could also modify the temperature regulating system such that it would run only such that the water was close to ambient.
September 20, 2007 1:05:08 AM

Ahhh the original post was posted on 5/18/07..............hmmm wonder who won? ;-P
September 20, 2007 1:38:32 AM

I thought of using the dual radiator thing, but the problem would be eliminating condensation once the chilled liquid came out of the fridge. You'd wind up having to insulate the living hell out of the lines, waterblock, etc. and even then couldn't be assured that you wouldn't have condensate dripping around where it shouldn't. The beauty of keeping everything within the system is that there would be no condensation, regular air cooling could be utilized, and if you put dessicant of some sort in there humidity could be contained at relatively 0. I like the idea of using water as a heat sink within the system, but I wonder if that really would increase compressor life. Why hasn't someone done this yet!!??!!
September 20, 2007 3:12:17 AM

Correct, a more full fridge (or freezer) works most efficiently when it is filled with anything with a high CP than air (which is pretty much all substances). Water has the highest CP of all known natural chemicals (and possibly all chemicals). Word to the wise: fill your fridges and freezers, they will stay colder and cost less to operate.
October 20, 2007 12:36:04 AM

caamsa said:
Ahhh the original post was posted on 5/18/07..............hmmm wonder who won? ;-P

It's not a contest of who wins or loses. From speaking to the production team, they're looking for something outstanding enough to demand a video or feature about it.

The mailbox also had a disruption with one of the server moves, so if you posted or submitted something, and nobody ever replied, It's my fault. Please send it again.

If you have a video idea that's not a mod, you should send it in as well.
November 11, 2007 7:00:20 PM

But won't you be left with a puddle of water by the fridge where the ice has melted (I read about this somewhere on xtremesystems)

The frige/freezer cannot kep up with thwe heat load and would just not cut it I think that's what they said...

lol

that'd be funny, with a fridge dripping warm water :D 
December 23, 2007 12:47:36 PM

kcwa said:

A fridge wont work. Been there, done that, bought the t shirt and got the tattoo. Not enough heat transfer capability.

My Comp is a small (3' X 3' X 3'-6") freezer from Walmart. MoBo, RAM, SLI cards are in it. With 100 Lbs. of Blue Ice blocks in the bottom and a cut-down 8" desk fan to circulate the atmosphere, it runs at 10 Deg. F.

No, Condensation is not a problem. It has been running for 18 months. It is shut down untill I need it and shut it off when done. I leave the PSU on.

The PSU and RAID are external. I originally had the RAID inside too, but Hard Disks start failing to boot at 17 Degrees. and they run fine with another cut down 8" desk fan on them.

The frost, if any, forms on the freezer walls and I do a defrost cycle every 6 months......LOL
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2007 1:53:18 PM

^Cool! Can you post some pics pls.?
December 27, 2007 2:59:56 PM

bornking, your Doom3 pc mod is excellent. How much time and $ did it cost to put together?
May 15, 2008 8:31:27 AM

I'm actually building a Refrigeration unit into my computer and will test it out for a month before offering the Product. The problem is licensing, EPA, etc that goes along with building a unit of this type as your not using water but a gas that supposedly eats the Ozone layer. You have to take a few tests, get certified, have your product inspected, etc.
If you know what your doing you shouldn't have a problem with condensation but if you don't...
People think... Hey, let's just put a computer into a Fridge and then wonder why their motherboard is sitting in a pile of water. There is a lot more to cooling than just putting a unit in the Fridge.
My test unit so far is scary quite. It produces near no sound. Internal temperatures I have kept at 40F and I'm able to place three soda cans for easy chilled access. I'm looking to send a Beta Product out in about a month to THG for a first look and some testing.
When I have the LED Lights and up I'll take a picture of the entire thing.
The good news is that if everything works right I should have a Case that I can sell to the General Public. The bad news. It has to be a Case due to licensing issues and EPA inspections.
May 23, 2008 5:38:12 PM

Can anyone tell me how to make my own thread?
June 4, 2008 6:15:03 PM

Why won't this thread come off my new messages list?!?!?

Edit: solved.
September 7, 2008 4:40:07 AM

Doom 3 mod has got to be the most sickest! Illest! and hottest Mod I've ever seen. The whole thing it just to sick for me to even believe, I believe it though, amazing work!
January 23, 2009 8:44:58 PM

I put a sticker on mine! is that an Extreme mod?
February 16, 2009 2:19:25 AM

I've been told that my system is pretty extreme... Although, it was built out of necessity. After doing the usual research on the various forums... I decided "I can do that"... I have the time, money, and workshop build it, so I did. I'm a gamer by nature so a system that will crank out the fps was VERY important... This build has been through several upgrades, since it posted the first time... I just recently put in a new CPU (q9650)... so it has changed again.

The best way to show this build is to direct you to my "Build Log" at www.hagatha.net

Thanks for reading...
hagatha
April 19, 2009 10:26:23 AM

If you want an interesting challenge, see how fast you can go without making any noise.

So that's Fanless power, no CPU fan, No case fan no, graphics fan. No hard disk (used to be harder before ssd).

I have got my rig at windows experience 4.8. Not as fast as most, but it will be quieter than anything.
April 20, 2009 5:44:46 PM

Interesting challenge asoroka

I'll play:

FSP Group ZEN 400 x 2
LIAN LI PC-A70B
GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS5
G Skill 4GB (2x2GB) CAS 4 DDR2 800
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (undervolted)
Scythe Orochi
Lian Li 3x120mm top panel
Thermalright HR-03 GT x 2
SAPPHIRE 100258-1GL Radeon HD 4850 1GB x 2 (I'm not sure 4870s would run continuously passive and without killing the passive PSUs, and you might have to scale back to 4830s or 4670s)
Dual PSU adapter cable
(OCZ or Intel SSD)
(DVD/BluRay drive)

Not sure how feasible it is for continuous usage, but I'm sure it would run.
April 21, 2009 12:35:47 PM

Wow a Q9550 fanless, I am impressed its a 95W part, how long before it cooks? I couldn't get my AMD 9750 to run for more than 8 hours fanless.

I have no case fan :-) so have to have the case open to get some heat out.
I am now running:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 undervolted to 1.1V
(anything less crashes under load)

Asus P5K Mobo
4Gb RAM
32GB SSD
Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT (Fanless)
Thermaltake Heatpipe cooler (fanless). (330W) so I am close to my limit

What I wouldn't give for a 64 bit 3watt 2.0GHz Quad core cpu. LOL maybe an atom one day.

Now that I have a silent machine, I need to fix all my dripping taps. :-)

April 21, 2009 1:56:12 PM

I think some modification would need to be done to the case to get a proper up-draft (think furnace flue), but I'm sure it could run, especially the newer E0 stepping with an undervolt. You could also do a Q8200S/Q8400S/Q9400S/Q9550S for a 65W quad in there. If a downgrade was needed to the HD 4670s then you may get by with one PSU (theoretically).
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2009 3:32:11 AM

This topic has been desticky in top of the forum by Randomizer
!