What can I use my old computer for?

kr0490

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I have an old pentium 4 dektop and I just loaded ubuntu on it. I've never used Linux before. What should I use my old computer with Linux for? What kinds of neat things can I do?

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Well with Linux there would be very few limitations. I would say since it is a pentium 4 your main limitation would be no 1080P video playback. It would function as a nice comptuer for web surfing, home theater pc, or nas. If you have an opengl 2.0 capable video card I suggest XBMC and/or Boxee if your looking to go the home theater pc route. To make the computer a nas just right click on a folder in your home directory and hit properties then sharing. You can save stuff to that computer from other computers on the network. The computer could probably also do some image editing and catorizing with fspot. You could set up a daap server to play your music remotely from Itunes. Just tell my what your into and I'll give you some ideas.

jgdames

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
That depends on what are your necessities and likes.
You can use it pretty much for everything.
Depending on how much RAM and if your GPU has 3d acceleration, your options might be lowered.