"My job is to sell freedom"

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Almost everything Henri has to say is interesting. Not nessasarily truthfull or accurate, but interesting.

I can't deny the recent quarter was a negative. But there are two ways to look at business: performance and health. There's what you see in the earnings.
Funny, I seem to recall AMD trying to deny the quarter was going to be negative prior to the EOQ reports. Guess they couldnt deny it anymore after the truth was out

But what is the AMD customer saying to us?
Well I cant speak for all AMD customers, but I know there are a bunch of us who are AMD customers that have been saying "Shut up and concentrate on making the dam chips instead of running your pie-holes and spewing BS."
It would appear that AMD hasnt been listening as closely as they once used to.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
If I interpret this correctly:

Henri is saying that Intel isn't Customer Focused since they (Intel) have a roadmap, and are constantly upgrading their product line.

Definately maybe there might possibly be ultamobile PCs in the future. He doesn't know what they'll be, but Henri doesn't like waiting for his beer.

AMD is losing buckets of money, but that's irrelevant since "motivation and determination is intact".

Complete sidestep of the question, when asked about AMD giving up manufacturing.

If there's one thing I can be proud of, AMD has helped Intel improve its game.
Wow. 8O

I want an ultra-mobile pc! Henri is right about one thing, there is a market for "good enough" devices especially as consoles, appliances, and pc's converge. A cell phone that plays mp3's, big deal. A PDA that streams media, so what. A smart device that I can use as a cell phone, watch the latest on-demand episode of The Office, and then remotely log into a server, perform basic maintenance, start or end services, and reboot the machine if necessary, now you've got something.

If I interpret this correctly:

Henri is saying that Intel isn't Customer Focused since they (Intel) have a roadmap, and are constantly upgrading their product line.

No, you did not interpret that statement correctly. Henri was implying that Intel has a roadmap and more or less tells customers that they are the only products Intel offers and the customer is forced to pick one that may or may not fit into the customer business model. Whereas, Henri was implying that AMD is more flexible and willing to create products to meet the specific business needs of their customers.

One often overlooked aspect of the ATI buyout is how involved ATI was at designing/fabbing multimedia chips for cell phones, televisions, cable boxes, and pda's. Fusion is just the beginning of integrating/converging those technologies.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
....A smart device that I can use as a cell phone, watch the latest on-demand episode of The Office, and then remotely log into a server, perform basic maintenance, start or end services, and reboot the machine if necessary, now you've got something.

You forgot "text the wife to let her know I cant pick up the kids from soccer practice and brew a fresh pot of coffee" :wink:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Almost everything Henri has to say is interesting. Not nessasarily truthfull or accurate, but interesting.

I can't deny the recent quarter was a negative. But there are two ways to look at business: performance and health. There's what you see in the earnings.
Funny, I seem to recall AMD trying to deny the quarter was going to be negative prior to the EOQ reports. Guess they couldnt deny it anymore after the truth was out

Well I cant speak for all AMD customers, but I know there are a bunch of us who are AMD customers that have been saying "Shut up and concentrate on making the dam chips instead of running your pie-holes and spewing BS."

But the person doing the talking isn't the person debugging problems and tweaking process. Now when the whole engr dept starts blogs, then I'd worry that they are not concentrating on their core business.

Most interviews ARE NOT setup by the interviewee but by the interviewer. Shoudl they say, we dont do interviews?

The most interesting thing I heard about AMD is that they are not creating an HT3 server chipset but are using nVidia and BroadCom. I woul dhave thought they would at least do a reference design.

But then why not share the load. Broadcom will I'm sure be happy to make all of the K10 server chipsets. But then nVidia won't let that happen so now we have competition which leads to innovation.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

But the person doing the talking isn't the person debugging problems and tweaking process. Now when the whole engr dept starts blogs, then I'd worry that they are not concentrating on their core business.

Most interviews ARE NOT setup by the interviewee but by the interviewer. Shoudl they say, we dont do interviews?

The most interesting thing I heard about AMD is that they are not creating an HT3 server chipset but are using nVidia and BroadCom. I woul dhave thought they would at least do a reference design.

But then why not share the load. Broadcom will I'm sure be happy to make all of the K10 server chipsets. But then nVidia won't let that happen so now we have competition which leads to innovation.This also gives them someone else to blame, should the chips not perform as expected. :wink:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Precisely. If nothing else, the market trends of the past 4 1/2 years should have proved to everyone, Horde, Brood (as you prefer to fashion) performance/value fanboys that PERFORMANCE TALKS, BULLSHIT WALKS.
Otellini's and his predecessors BS couldnt stop Intel from hemoraging marketshare when K8 was whipping netburst. Richards, Ruizs and Meyers rhetoric didnt stem the flow of marketshare back to Intel when C2D turned out to be what Intel claimed.

Intel held a lot of market share with advertising funds, but when the truth was known, they started losing it. The truth is in the products performance. Performance is demonstrated by benchmarks. Whether you personally like it or not, benchmarks sell products, because they expose performance, and that, or value are what it would appear the majority of the market wants.

That said, it means all the money spent on advetising is money wasted, because advertising does not equate to performance. And the money spent on Henri Richards mouth did not go to the "person debugging problems and tweaking process"

And why not? They certainly held their tongues well enough when they were on top in the XP days. You quitely heard about a new stepping or clock freq 2-4 weeks before it arrived, and it hit the shelves when it was suposed to.

But then why not share the load. Broadcom will I'm sure be happy to make all of the K10 server chipsets. But then nVidia won't let that happen so now we have competition which leads to innovation.
I aggree, why not. If it helps get the product to market faster, then all the better, unless it walks the same path as ATI and Raviscient, or Titan (pre AMD buyout). Incorporation of those techs caused ATI more problems then they solved. Or the same path as subdivided government contracts, in which case they may as well declare BK right now.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Well it could have been worse. After re-reading that interview I suppose a modicum of gratitude is in order for Henri not bursting out into a chorus of Madonnas "dont cry for me Argentina" or Donna Summers "I will survive"