Sign in with
Your question

Base Score WIndows Vista

Last response: in Windows Vista
September 10, 2008 1:49:11 PM

Is a base score of 5.6 a solid base score that was my lowest reading i got on my cpu i am new to vista.
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2008 1:59:34 PM

Yea, that's good. Anything in the high 5s. What CPU is it?
m
l
September 10, 2008 2:11:57 PM

Its a AMD Athtlon windsor 3.0ghz, I just overclocked it a little while ago and i am running at a steady 3.300 ghz now. Running really nice but i am getting a 48c in degrees reading i hope that isn't to warm. Seems fine to me so far and i havent crashed. This is the first version i ever had of vista pretty cool compared to xp thats why i asked about the base score.
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2008 2:19:49 PM

Wow i just read in .....What do these numbers mean 5.9 is the highest, Vista has alot more cooler options than xp does and i see no difference in performance speed like some said. It seems just as fast.
m
l
September 10, 2008 2:35:52 PM

Can somebody post a website where i can download directX 10 from if possible?

Thanks,
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2008 3:06:56 PM

No need to download Direct X 10 - It's already in the OS. And yah - a 5.6 is solid.

m
l
September 10, 2008 3:23:42 PM

Scotteq said:
No need to download Direct X 10 - It's already in the OS. And yah - a 5.6 is solid.

Thank You scotteq i didn't know Direct X 10 was already in vista, but i am using a vista 32 bit os not vista 64 bit, does that make a difference as far as direct X 10 goes?Because it seems that alot of people in the vista forum are using 64 bit os. I am pretty disapointed i didn't go with vista 64 bit because i have decent parts in my computer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2008 3:55:37 PM

Quote:
i see no difference in performance speed like some said. It seems just as fast.

Early bad drivers, underpowered PCs being sold as Vista ready, crapware stuffed new laptops, applications not updated for the new OS . . .the usual early adopter stuff. It's all been taken way too far by the anti-MS crowd who dearly want to see MS perish, and the usual fear of change . . and the Apple ads. It's a load of BS.

Vista on a properly configured machine is a very good OS and no slower than XP.
m
l
September 10, 2008 4:22:50 PM

notherdude said:
Quote:
i see no difference in performance speed like some said. It seems just as fast.

Early bad drivers, underpowered PCs being sold as Vista ready, crapware stuffed new laptops, applications not updated for the new OS . . .the usual early adopter stuff. It's all been taken way too far by the anti-MS crowd who dearly want to see MS perish, and the usual fear of change . . and the Apple ads. It's a load of BS.

Vista on a properly configured machine is a very good OS and no slower than XP.

I know notherdude i love vista already, Like i mentioned aboved though.......wish i would of gotten a 64 bit os after reading alot of these post in the forum this moring, i dipped in way over on my budget building this computer and feel that i am missing the 64 bit os to go with my other performing parts and i even have 8 gigs of ddr 2 memory which is going to waste. And now i just read a post i could of ordered a vista 64 bit os system for the same price as a 32 bit online. Grrrrrrrrrrr they aggravates me a bit even though a like what i am seeing in what i have so far. Could have been better if i payed more attention and read the window forums in tom's hardware more.
m
l
September 10, 2008 4:39:29 PM

If you have Home Premium, you can order the 64-bit DVD from MS for a nominal fee. If you have Ultimate, the 64-bit DVD is in the box.
m
l
September 10, 2008 4:54:31 PM

Home premium is what i have.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2008 5:03:56 PM

Dide you get a 'retail' version of home premium or OEM? IIRC only retail may be exchanged for the 64 bit version for a nominal fee. I've never dont this myself so perhaps there is some loophole or something but that's what they say anyway.
I can see how you would want 64 since you got 8 gig of RAM. If you were only using 4 gig or less I wouldn't sweat it too much. 32 bit is fine, the only real advantage at this time is being able to use the extra ram. Some people 'feel' 64 is snappier and more stable, myself included, but this is not really documented.
m
l
September 10, 2008 5:33:08 PM

I bought the 32bit version at Tiger Direct in south florida we have a retail walk in store down here and their prices aren't that bad for walk in, Newegg has much better prices but i get impatient waiting for delivery and go there which isn't the brightest move. I think i will keep it for my next lower end build in a month or so and just order the full version 64bit on Newegg when i have the funds to order it.
m
l
September 10, 2008 7:42:26 PM

If it was in a fancy, hard to open plastic case, it was a retail copy. If it was just a disc in a sleeve with a small book, it was OEM.
m
l
!