System Restore has disappeared

kas

Distinguished
May 8, 2005
A recent driver update left me with a host of computer issues. No problem I thought, I'll do a System Restore. I check Accessories>>System Tools in the start menu only to find that system restore isn't there.

A quick google search reveals that this should be the tool's location, but it can also be accessed through Help & Support or the control panel. I didn't find it in either location.

My next thought is that it might have been removed from the start menu by a virus I had a while ago which made registry edits which did things like preventing me from opening the control panel, CAD, etc. Again, I google and find that these registry entries should be found under

local machine>>software>>policies>>windows nt....system restore.

So I check but there is no system restore folder! I can still access the system restore OPTIONS from the control panel and the checkbox tells me it's running but other than that I have no idea what's happened to it. I can post the issues I've gotten since the update but suffice it to say the computer is approaching unusability, even for simple web browsing.

kas

Distinguished
May 8, 2005
systemrestorerz3.png

greybeard

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Assuming you are running XP, The shortcut for System Restore points to this file:

Target:
%System Root%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

Start in:
%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

This should be enough to rebuild the shortcut.

kas

Distinguished
May 8, 2005
Oh, sorry if I didn't mention, but I'm running XP Pro x64...would that make a difference?

edit: I found the shortcut there, thanks. I guess this won't help me though, since the only restore point shown is for 11:30 am today :<

inspector71

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I wouldn't think that would make a difference if you have the 64bit os and thats kind of strange that you lost your system restore. Anyways did you resovle this problem yet?

kas

Distinguished
May 8, 2005
No, it didn't work because the only restore date is today. And here's a list of the issues I'm getting now:

whenever I scroll down on pages it's a bar sweeps across the page updating to the new position of the page it's very annoying. I think it has something to do with my refresh rate being too low but the option to change it in the display window is grayed out. I can't run any fullscreen games, chkdsk closes all of a sudden midway through being run

TRENDING THREADS