Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to disable internet access on router??

Last response: in Components
May 18, 2007 8:00:24 PM

I have serveral computers connected to a router for internet access.

I'm looking for a way to disable access from the router so that when internet access is disabled on the router, it is also disabled on all the computers. I cannot disable it on each computer alone and need to find a way to disable the access on the router if it can be done.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
May 18, 2007 8:27:53 PM

Quote:

I'm looking for a way to disable access from the router so that when internet access is disabled on the router, it is also disabled on all the computers. I cannot disable it on each computer alone and need to find a way to disable the access on the router if it can be done.

depends on the router. all the latest ones have ways to do that, RTFM would be your best solution.
(rtfm = read the f'in manual)
May 18, 2007 8:47:55 PM

easiest way is just unplug the internet from the router...
then plug it back in when you want it enabled again....

but if you want to do it withing the routers software....
just change the configuration so that it doesn't use DHCP but use a hardcoded ip address that is configured wrong ...

or as Valis said.... "rtfm"
Related resources
May 18, 2007 8:54:20 PM

Pull the power plug from the router? Or am I missing something...
May 18, 2007 8:58:57 PM

other ways: use a MAC filtering ( most routers dont support this on wired, but some do )
May 18, 2007 9:13:27 PM

Depending on the router you can:
1. add a FW rule on a time schedule.
2. Remove the Gateway from the WAN, may need to be in Static ISP.
3. Add a FW rule to block all ports based on MAC Address .

I have several PC that I don not allow them to see the outside world. I use a FW rule to block out bound and In bound traffic.

One of these will work with all routers.
May 18, 2007 9:13:39 PM

Quote:

How is network traffic gonna be transferred if the router's off...
May 18, 2007 9:36:49 PM

Quote:
you would need to block the ports your internet is on on the router
ussually its port 80 i think. its been a while so i would do some research and figure out what ports you are using

This would effectively block HTTP traffic, but internet obund traffic of other types would be permitted....

Personally I think unplugging the router from the modem is the easiest way to do it.
May 18, 2007 9:42:48 PM

Quote:

How is network traffic gonna be transferred if the router's off...

He didn't say anything about needing LAN activity. :wink:

He wanted Internet gone... that solves it.
May 19, 2007 4:42:25 AM

thanks really for all the smartass answers (theyre always a simple reminder of the noobiness in me) but i figured out under a "WAN" tab disabling PPPoE cuts off the connection and that works.. all im trying to do is since i am not able to access each pc that connects to the internet through my router - disable the internet access on the router period so i can give access to the internet at specified times.. so i hope this works and there isnt some type of easy workaround to it.. thanks

edit: ok nevermind this - i found that simply hitting the reset button on the back of the modem returns settings to default and gives back access so keep the suggestions coming :) 
May 31, 2007 6:21:03 AM

All I ever do is filter specific IP's on the the router from specific access.
Otherwise, if you are using a basic type of router, just disable DNS on a specific machine, either by disabling or by just specifying addresses that do not exist. And then use the registry to prevent access to cpl's that can access changes.
Why make it harder than it has to be?
May 31, 2007 6:58:14 AM

I just had a go on mine and if you block your ISP's IP address it will prevent any internet access.
May 31, 2007 8:18:11 AM

there are thousands of ways round this

i know for one that mine hs parental controls on it that can turn off internet access at certain times of the day to certain machines.

pull the internet cable

i have two routers setup for my network with internet coming from the first then fed into the second which is distributed accross the house all i need do is turn off the first router or alter connection setings so that it wont forward to the secondrouter

alter the iprange so that instead of allowing all comps with ip range between 2 and 255 connect (i hope your using static ips) have it so that only computer 2 does (this will stop network traffic tho.

similar to the third one but use a seperate modem and router that way the modem can be independantly controlled

you could try a DoS attack on yourself but not really what you want to be doing

or you could setup parental control software on each pc that disables the internet at a certain time.

loads of options but i would go with any of the top 5 depending on the situation
May 31, 2007 9:13:04 AM

Quote:
you would need to block the ports your internet is on on the router
ussually its port 80 i think. its been a while so i would do some research and figure out what ports you are using

What kind of solution is that?? Have u any knowledge whatsoever on networking???
May 31, 2007 9:34:29 AM

Depends on that router. Basic ones don't even have menu and that it just work as a plain router. Type 192.168.0.1 to access your router or whatever router IP you have. If there's an option to disable it then you can. I have D-Link DGL-4100 Gaming Router and has lots of features and includes the way to diconnect it from the moden.
June 25, 2007 12:00:41 PM

Your best bet in most routers is VPN you can enable VPN and configure it for which computers to use VPN. Computers using VPN will only be able to use the network you have without the internet access or you can choose limited access. You can create a bridge with you network allowing your vpn to use on lan and the other to use the net.
June 26, 2007 1:34:37 AM

Quote:

as many have already said there are multiple ways to do this (from the somewhat smartassish unplug it type ways...to advanced configuration / rules )

however it would probably be helpful if you included more relevant information in your first posting

most obviously what router is it you have? (make / model )

and

then also so you want to keep LAN / Fileshare/ printsharing ..etc ) but just block internet at certain times is this right?
June 26, 2007 2:37:14 AM

You do realise that ANY solution we come up with will be gone if they hit the reset button right?

Rather then keep us in the dark, WTF are you trying to do? Tell us whats going on rather then make us guess. We can give you ideas of how to implement your idea, or you can tell us the problem and get help.
June 27, 2007 2:50:20 AM

Quote:
I'm looking for a way to disable internet access on the router

Unplug It
June 27, 2007 5:14:08 AM

in the router, set up a static IP, and make it some made up ip address. Another option is to set the DNS server on the router to something like 5.0.0.1 and 5.0.0.2 Cool think about that solution is that on each computer, you can set the computer to a working DNS server and get internet access.

I am not sure why you do not just disconnect the wan connection. that would stop internet access.
June 27, 2007 6:16:52 AM

If you can't/don't want to just unplug the WAN port on the router...

Most routers have some means of denying Internet access either completely or on a schedule.

Have a look under firewall rules. What you want is a rule which says something like "from trust to untrust deny all".

Precisely how you do it will depend on the model of router you have. Perhaps you could let us know?
June 27, 2007 6:32:22 AM

As I said, none of these ideas will work. Any rule you make will be removed when the offender hits the reset button again. With the info that we have, the only thing that can be done is removing access to the router, then making the rule. As long as the router can be reset, you are wasting your time answering this question.
June 27, 2007 6:42:48 AM

Quote:
Any rule you make will be removed when the offender hits the reset button again.

Well, if the router's default config allows Internet access, then there's nothing for it but to physically lock up the router so that whoever can't get to the reset button.
June 27, 2007 6:53:05 AM

I don't have a router or a network or LAN. I don't know anything about these. My computer could use LAN but I have it disabled in the BIOS. Can you disable your router in the BIOS or is that what you want?
June 27, 2007 9:11:14 AM

As I said I am not knowledgable about this subject. I don't intend to have more than computer operating or a network of computers. I did check out that reference. Thank you for directing me to more information. I will ask a friend about this who does know more about routers.
June 27, 2007 10:51:59 AM

If you create a VPN you can choose virtual private network or VPN nobody can connect to the net unless you choose too you can choose which site computers can access. Your help file will help you create a private network.
July 22, 2010 6:55:21 PM

Old thread but I stubled upon this when I was trying to figure out just this - how to disable Internet for a specific computer or device. There are several reasons to why you would want to do that without "Unplugging" or turning off the router as some smartasses suggests. E.g. I got an xbox 360 that I want to be able to FTP to but I don't want it to access the Internet or xbox live. So, heres a tutorila on how to do it on a D-link DIR-615 (it looks basically the same in most D-link routers):

1. Check what MAC adress of the device you want to block from Internet (for the xbox 360 - go to console settings, network settings, advanced settings and advanced again - there it is. For a normal computer - use CMD and type ipconfig /all. It might be different on different languages. Mine says "Physical address" - thats your MAC address - it looks something like this: 00-A4-H3-44-AA-57)

2. Use your web browser and type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar of your webbrowser (no www or http or anything, just this IP - this is the default IP-address to your router.

3. Log in to the router - the username is by default "admin" without quotes. No password. If you can't log in, try also typing "password" in password field. If this doesn't work, check your manual. You can always make a hard reset if someone changed the user/pass.

4 Check for "MAC-filtering". On Dlink DIR-615 you need to click the "advanced" tab first.

5 In the drop-down menu, choose "Turn MAC filtering ON and deny computers listed to access the network.

6 Type the MAC address to the device you want to deny access to Internet (but with ":" instead of "-" so for the above MAC address, it would be 00:A4:H3:44:AA:57

7 Save and you are done.
July 22, 2010 9:05:28 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!