Will older version xp pro install after newer xp home service pack 2

inspector71

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Hey guys i have a question? Can i install an older windows xp pro edition with out service pack 2 over a newer version of windows xp home edition with service pack 2 and still have the service pack 2 from newer home edition on my upgrade on my older pro edition if i try to install it? Will it work?

Thank You,

Z - About the only thing that comes to mind why someone would actually want to do that is to attempt to get PAE working for more address space... If I recall correctly, that was nuked in SP2 by MSFT hard coding memory limits to prevent issues with people activating PAE extensions on non-server side editions of the OS.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
GPE feature is not in home, but really unless one has a network that requieres GPE that feature would never be used. I think there is underground xp codes now to enable GPE for home

inspector71

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008

No there isn't! i am just going to stick with using the newer xp home service pack 2 edition.

Ok... just wondered. If you needed to join a domain or some other thing that you can't do with Home, then I could understand the effort. You also have the option of slipstreaming SP2 into the copy of Pro that you have... but again, don't think you could do an upgrade.

inspector71

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Lol ! Home doesn't have the my recent documents option on start up either, but that isn't important , just thought i would post that because it's really the only thing that i have noticed that it doesn't have.