dbonniwell

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
Iam currently working on a new build for this EVGA 790i mother board.
Question
When I go Start>shutdown> and click shutdown, the machine turns off to a certain point then I have to press the power switch to shut down further(It is now safe to shutdown windows) as per instruction of a message.
How can get this unit to shut down all the way with out having to hit the power switch to do so?
i have Win XP Home installed as an OS.

You may have to reinstall Windows with ACPI enabled. One possibility is, though, in Device Manager. Go to Computer and see if it says "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC". If it doesn't, change it so that it does. Again, though, ACPI must be ENABLED for you to do this.

dbonniwell

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
I think I had to disable ACPI becase I was getting a BSOD and it concerned something about stopping the install because of PCI.sys. When I disabled it the instll was able to proceed. thas I am concerned about reinstall since I may revisit an old problem. your thoughts?

Computer reads: MPS Multiprocessor PC, How do you change it so it reads "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC"?

dbonniwell

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
I did that too. I will try again, but it seeming could not find anything because it was searching for a while and nothing happened and then I got a Could not update drivers message. Can I down load the necessay drivers somewhere for this issue?

dbonniwell

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
I just tried to update by choosing my self
I get meaasge "Cannot continue the hardware update wizard
Wiard could not find a better match for yur hardware the the current"

stopped here
I have been to power supply and Advance, Nothing as you are saying located here.
Your thoughts?

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
screenshot1pb8.jpg

Gomer, those options will not be there if ACPI isn't enabled.

What is in the list that Windows brings up when you say "Don't Search... I will choose a driver to install."? Uncheck "Show Compatible Hardware". Don't forget to enable ACPI in the CMOS before you do this.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
;)

dbonniwell

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
Is what you are showing me from XP Home?
I am using XP Home.
On my rig it shows for that tab the following: Option Always show icon on taskbar and it is checked.
thats it.

I rechecked ACPI and it is Enabled
ACPI Suspend type was S3(STR) with other options of S1(POS) and S1&S3.
I have it set to S1&S3 right now. And still no change. I tried 1(POS) also and no change. Any hope for me?

thankyou gentlemen for stiicking with me on this

dbonniwell

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
I went to Device Manager and Clicked computer and got MPS Multiprocessor.
I tried to Update as you stated and it will not change to ACPI.
I even installed the XP Home disk and told it to look in there. and the message I got was the same as above.

"Cannot continue the hardware update wizard
Wiard could not find a better match for yur hardware the the current"

You can't let Windows automatically search for the driver, because that's what it's going to do every time you try. You have to manually choose the driver. Gomer's link explains it better than I can.

dbonniwell

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
I have been to that website and followed the directions carefully. It did not work out for me. Not sure why
if I maually look for the drivers, how shall I know what to install?
I do not recall seeing anything in Bios on the MSP 1.1 or 1.4. But I will look again and get back.

dbonniwell

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
In the boot section of Bios I found the MPS and it has been 1.4 all along.
Just above that I found APCI Mode and that is Enabled all the time. It is the first time I saw these here, so I have not fooled with them.

dbonniwell

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
OK
I went into device manager and tried to update the driver again.
When I chose the Find Manually option I got 2 options
1) MPS option
2) standard PC option
I tried the update with the Standard option and it did not work, no change in the control panel>power supply>advance

You have to uncheck "Show Compatible Devices" to get a larger list. The only way you will see those options is if you have ACPI PC installed. You may have to update your chipset drivers, as the 790i is a new chipset and XP is now a very old OS. You should be able to install the drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard, then update to the newest ones from nVidia's website.

dbonniwell

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
I will uncheck as you say and try again.
The mother board is very up to date and I installed the latest drivers v9.64 for the EVGA 790i motherboard.
I do have ACPI options in the latest Bios P06.
Thanks again for working with me

dbonniwell

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
I unchecked and it did not give me any other options. I tried installing what was there, and still same problem. I read about a repair where instead of hitting F6 during the setup as it asked, hit F5 and I get options with ACPI on it. However if I do the repair with one of those, I get a pci.sys BSOD stop and have to abort repair/setup. I have a real catch 22 on my hands.