systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
It all started when I was at RC Universe and it keep wanting to install Active-X, so I did. Everytime I launch IE7 it crashes and says, "Send Error Report". In the error report, it said Windows is the cause of the crash. I have defragged my HDD and don't want to lose the last couple of days of work doing System Restore just yet. One thing I have noticed is that as long as I don't click Send Error Report, I can surf the net just fine. How this helps me I have no clue? I have all updates to Windows. What do I do from here?

Thanks for your help, Systemlord. :)

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I just uninstalled IE7 and that seems to have fixed my problem, but after re-installing IE7 again seems to be causing more problems then before. When I first get to desktop I hear this noise like an application error, it also slows down my start up programs, they start slow and late. I just want my IE7 to work how it used to without these strange problems!

How do I repair IE7?

I thought maybe when the installation program had a repair mode. Hmmm, I don't know sounds like you have a program conflicting with IE7 or maybe a configutration error maybe even a registry error. A loud noise? I didn't know IE7 made noises. really, I haven't had any problems with MS explorer since like version 4.something. How about dumping XP and installing Vista 64... :sol:

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Ok I did a "System Restore" and that seems to have returned things to normal, I just backed up what work I had done onto a thumb drive. Upon restoring of Windows there was a serious error, the log report said something installed recently was most likely the caused the problem.

Here are the facts: (1) I installed Active-X today, (2) Thats when all the problem started, (3) I then uninstalled IE7 which returned things to normal again, (4) I installed IE7 and the problem started up again. Without a dought I think the corrupted install of Active-X plus IE7 was the root cause of all my problems since everything else (my games,apps) was working perfectly. The only thing that is not on my HDD anymore is the Active-X install from earlier today.

Active-X is part of IE... it's there right from the beginning. It was an Active-X application that was causing your problems... and IE 7 makes it easy to disable Active-X controls. Go to "Internet Properties" and click on the "Programs" tab. Click the "Manage Add-ons" button and it will bring up a list of all the Active-X controls you have installed. Highlight the appropriate control causing the problem and click disable.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Thanks I never knew that, but how would I have known which one was causing the trouble? Unless it showed a date and time for each active-X install...

Just have a look and see if any look suspicious. You can disable and re-enable one at a time until you find the flaky one... or you can check the dates on the files to see when they were installed. It's a pain in the @$$, but it does save you from a restore or reload.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Thanks for all the help, someday its bound to happen again.