Installed Vista64 Ultimate - Everything works but this

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
Office2007

I did a bit of surfing but things dont match my issue..

When I start Outlook and try to select my Accounts.. and I go to the page where you select POP3, EXCHANGE, or OTHER. Everything is greyed out except Exchange. Before I ran Office Update I could select POP3 but only hotmail listed as an option and the field above it was blank with no options.

I realize there is some DLL that could be missing that could be the cause..

What I dont know is how to fix this going forward. My wife is without email now and a little angry.. hehehe

Did I mention she is 7 months pregnant? Someone save me quick.

I've had a (probably paranoid and unwarranted) rule that no Microsoft product directly touches the Internet on my PC's - Firewall, Antivirus, whatever... So I don't use Outlook at home, and at work it's locked up tight, so.

I did some poking around and found the following, though:

Source: http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t116873.html

Outlook 2007 has this great Auto Account Setup feature. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work with Yahoo Mail. So we're going to have to do this manually. The procedure is similar, but not identical to configuring earlier versions of Outlook. Please follow these steps to get Outlook configured:
In the Outlook main menu, click Tools, then Account Settings. This opens the Account Settings dialog box.

On the E-mail tab, click New. This launches the Add New E-mail Account wizard.

On the Choose E-mail Service screen, select Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP, then click Next.

On the Auto Account Setup screen, set the Manually configure server settings of additional server types checkbox and click Next.

On the Choose E-mail Service screen, select Internet E-mail, then click Next.

Enter your name as you want it to appear in messages in the Your Name field.

Enter your full Mail Plus address (user@yahoo.com) or Business Mail address (for example, user@yourdomain.com) in the E-mail Address field.

Select POP3 in the Account Type list.

For a Mail Plus account, enter "pop.mail.yahoo.com" in the Incoming mail server (POP3) field and "smtp.mail.yahoo.com" in the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) field.

For a Business Mail account, enter "pop.bizmail.yahoo.com" in the Incoming mail server field and "smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com" in the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) field.

For a Mail Plus account, enter "pop.mail.yahoo.com" in the Incoming mail server field and "smtp.mail.yahoo.com" in the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) field.

Enter your Yahoo user name in the User Name field. For a Mail Plus account, enter your mail address without the "@yahoo.com". For a Business Mail account, enter your mail address including the "@yourdomain.com".

Enter your Yahoo Mail password in the Password field, then enter it again in the Retype Password field.

Set the Remember password check box if you don't want to have to enter your password manually each time Outlook checks your mail.

Make sure that the check box next to Log on using Secure Password Authentication is CLEARED.

Click More Settings to open the Internet E-mail Settings dialog box.

Click the Outgoing Server tab.

Set the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication check box.

Select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.

Click the Advanced tab.

Make sure that Leave a copy of messages on the server is NOT checked.

Make sure that This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is NOT checked under either Incoming server (POP3) or Outgoing server (SMTP).

Click OK to return to the Internet E-mail Settings screen.

Click Test Account Settings. The Test Account Settings dialog box appears and Outlook sends a test message using the settings you have just entered. If all is well, a Congratulations! message appears in the dialog box. Click Close to close this dialog box. If you didn't see the Congratulations! message, go back through this procedure from the top to check all your settings.

Click Next then Finish.
Note: If the Test Account Settings dialog box reports that Outlook cannot send the test message, and you have checked that you have completed all other steps correctly, your ISP may be blocking Port 25. To find out what that means and how to fix the problem, go to the Mail Tips page and view the Work around the Port 25 problem tip.

Now you're ready to go. You should have a functional Yahoo Mail to Outlook 2007 connection, and Outlook should start downloading mail from your Yahoo account.